RIP and MAX differences

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
rydenfan

RIP and MAX differences

Post by rydenfan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 pm

I am very excited about the release of RIP :D

I am just curious how this differs from MAX? I am curious because my collection is about 1500 albums. Will I need to re-rip my entire collection that i ripped with MAX?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: RIP and MAX differences

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:09 pm

That would be a personal decision- the rippers in Max still work as well as they ever did. If your CDs are in good shape, any of Max's rippers will get the audio off the disc cleanly. For damaged discs, Rip is definitely superior.

If you are a perfectionist/obsessionist, Max does not take a drive's read offset into account. So, for tracks ripped with Max, there could be a few stray samples at the beginning or end of a track that logically belong to one of the adjacent tracks.

If you want to be assured your rips are error-free, Rip is also superior because of its AccurateRip support and better log file generation.

So all in all it may be worth it if you have the time, but it may not be worth the hassle if your discs are all in good condition.

lecubain

Post by lecubain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:00 pm

I have been MAX for long time and very successfully why should i Move to RIP since CD paranoia was working fine , do I get better extraction , or better files from Rip , if yes, what preference settings If I am looking for top quality audiophile rips?

randian

Post by randian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:28 am

A more interesting comparison would be Rip vs XLD (a CDParanoia III 10.2 ripper with AccurateRip support).

One annoying thing is XLD can't upload rip results, because the AccurateRip folks are worried about intentional contamination of their ripper database. That's a pointless worry. Besides the fact that this greatly reduces the number of good rips your ripper will show as matching your rip, since they can hardly have access to the breadth of discs the community has, a false rip won't ever match a rip of any legitimate disc. It will waste a little bit of storage space, but it won't cause anybody to think their bad rip is really good since it's vanishingly unlikely it will match the contaminating data.

lecubain

Post by lecubain » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Fantastic suggestion have done comparative rips between Rip and XLD a good marked difference , since you seem to know both apps quite well what would be your favorite preference settings on both apps. for total rip quality. :) :)