Allow extraction failure?

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
khead

Allow extraction failure?

Post by khead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm not quite sure what this means.
I only tried to rip one disk with b9 that showed the extraction failure message, and those files were not saved. Does checking the box mean the files will be saved?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Allow extraction failure?

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:52 pm

If the box is NOT checked, i.e. extraction failure is not allowed, then Rip may fail on some tracks. If extraction fails for a track then it will not be saved (if extracting in track mode) or the image will not be saved (in image mode).

The box is basically a concession to reality that for some extremely damaged discs, any audio you can get is better than nothing, because it may be physically impossible to get a perfect rip.

boringenormous

Post by boringenormous » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:07 am

Sorry, but could you clarify? The box says "allow extraction failure" not "extraction failure not allowed." What I am getting is that if the box is checked, Rip will "fail" the rip and stop the extraction or notify you that it can't complete. If it is not checked, Rip will continue ripping, even with errors. Is this correct?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Sorry for the confusion- I changed my mind during development how the box would read. As is now, the box says "Allow extraction failure when matches not made". What this means is that, when checked, errors that cannot be corrected will cause a rip to fail, ie quit. If it is not checked, Rip will continue ripping as you said.

boringenormous

Post by boringenormous » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Great, makes sense now. Thanks...

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Hm, after re-reading several times, I do now understand. But this label may not be clear to people whose native language is not English, like myself. Maybe it would be clearer if the label would read: "Allow extraction to fail when matches not made". "Failure" can easily be understood as "fault".

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:00 pm

I think that wording would be an improvement. I'll change it for the next version.