Few problems

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
cdcollector

Few problems

Post by cdcollector » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:43 am

Puh, should not have updated to b11 ;)

Can't detect the read offset, noticed that someone else had the same problem.

If i try to rip a cd i get a message saying: Operation could not be completet. Input/Output error.

Think that have something to do with the C2 error detection, need to be disabled on my drive. Cant find that setting anymore, has it been removed?

Thank you for a fantastic little tool.

khead

Re: Few problems

Post by khead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:38 pm

I didn't get the read offset either.
I pulled b9 out of the trash and got the offset detection to work off of that - but only after a couple of tries.
b11 picked up the offset after that (I've ripped some tracks with AR results), but the nice little offset data box is missing.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:45 pm

cdcollector wrote: Can't detect the read offset, noticed that someone else had the same problem.

If i try to rip a cd i get a message saying: Operation could not be completet. Input/Output error.

Think that have something to do with the C2 error detection, need to be disabled on my drive. Cant find that setting anymore, has it been removed?

Thank you for a fantastic little tool.
C2 can be enabled/disabled in the Information window, drive section. There is a small checkbox that says "C2 Error Flags" at the bottom: http://yfrog.com/38picture2kxup

For the IO error, when does it occur? Right when ripping begins or after ripping but before encoding?

What drive are you using that Rip cannot detect the read offset?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 pm

khead wrote:I didn't get the read offset either.
I pulled b9 out of the trash and got the offset detection to work off of that - but only after a couple of tries.
b11 picked up the offset after that (I've ripped some tracks with AR results), but the nice little offset data box is missing.
You can set the offset manually using the "Set Read Offset" menu item in the File menu: http://yfrog.com/5kpicture3edup

cdcollector

Post by cdcollector » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:54 pm

I have Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D drive.

I get the IO error directly when i hit the Copy Tracks button.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Are there any errors displayed in the Console? Do you have the same behavior with C2 off?

I assume this drive is in an external enclosure?

cdcollector

Post by cdcollector » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Yes, external.

No errors shown in console.

Works fine when i disable C2.

khead

Post by khead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:26 pm

sbooth wrote:
khead wrote:I didn't get the read offset either.
You can set the offset manually using the "Set Read Offset" menu item in the File menu: http://yfrog.com/5kpicture3edup
I've just tried with a second drive, and the Read Offset is a bit flaky.
"Determine Offset" didn't work first try, did get correct offset second try (I rejected it just to be difficult :wink: ), and now has not worked on a couple more tries.
I'm pretty sure both the "Determine", and "Set" options were greyed out on my first try before resorting back to b9.

I like the Inspector window.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:41 pm

cdcollector wrote:Yes, external.

No errors shown in console.

Works fine when i disable C2.
I've had this problem too- it seems to be a problem with certain bridge chipsets (3.5" connector to USB) not passing C2 information correctly. There really isn't a way around it, unfortunately.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:43 pm

khead wrote:'ve just tried with a second drive, and the Read Offset is a bit flaky.
"Determine Offset" didn't work first try, did get correct offset second try (I rejected it just to be difficult :wink: ), and now has not worked on a couple more tries.
By "not work" do you mean it didn't find any read offsets to suggest? This could be possible, depending on the particular disc and whether or not it is a key disc.

khead

Post by khead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:30 pm

sbooth wrote:
khead wrote:'ve just tried with a second drive, and the Read Offset is a bit flaky.
By "not work" do you mean it didn't find any read offsets to suggest? This could be possible, depending on the particular disc and whether or not it is a key disc.
Yes , I mean it doesn't suggest any read offsets ... on the first try. Doing nothing other than hitting cancel in the offset suggestion box, and trying again with the same disk and drive, can give the proper offset value at times. Just a bit glitchy. I had it happen with 3 different external drives.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:15 am

Rip chooses a track at random to use for the drive offset detection, which could explain why things are only working part of the time. It is possible that only some of the tracks on the disc contain the offset checksum.

disneymike

Post by disneymike » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:52 pm

With version 1.0b11, the first disc I put in resulted in no offset suggestion. With another disc, it recommended 553 for the offset. Having looked up the offset for my Sony D150A, I knew it should be 48. When I tried to enter 48 for the offset manually, if I returned to manual offset screen again, it didn't seem to take the 48 as the entry box was empty. After a few more discs, Rip was able to suggest 48 for the offset and now it seems to have taken.