Rip v1.0b9 Initial Observation

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
disneymike

Rip v1.0b9 Initial Observation

Post by disneymike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:28 pm

I tried two new CDs with Rip v1.0b9 last night. Both discs did not have AccurateRip profiles and the program indicated so. So, Rip proceeded to read audio and verify each track. The first thing I noticed was each track was read and reread numerous times. In v1.0b8, when no AccurateRip data was found, it would read each track once and then verify once. Although it took multiple reads per track, eventually all tracks showed as being properly verified. After both rips were complete, I checked for the audio files in my rip folder and found that no files were created for one disc and only one file was created for the other.

I didn't have time to investigate more thoroughly or check the console or debugging results. I can do that later if it's helpful, Stephen.

I will also try more discs tonight which have AccurateRip data and report if I see any anomalies.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Rip v1.0b9 Initial Observation

Post by sbooth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:37 pm

As you've noticed, b9 no longer simply extracts and then verifies. I tweaked the algorithm to be more configurable and give noticeable improvements over b8 in speed and accuracy:
  • Rip can now synthesize a sector using data from multiple reads, speeding the process
  • The way tracks with errors are handled is improved, so that more often the correct sectors are chosen
  • Instead of extracting once and comparing once, the user can specify how many times a track must match to be marked as complete
I need to revise the flowcharts on the Rip site detailing the new algorithm.

disneymike

Post by disneymike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 pm

sbooth wrote:
  • Instead of extracting once and comparing once, the user can specify how many times a track must match to be marked as complete
So, in my case, using two brand new discs, do I need to simply adjust the parameters? It doesn't seem likely both new CDs were prone to errors, right?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 am

You can adjust the parameters if you'd like- if a disc is in AccurateRip it is a moot point, because if a rip matches AR it will be encoded immediately. If a disc isn't in AR and it is brand new you could adjust down if you'd like- I would leave the sector matches at 3 (or 2) and change the track matches to 1.

disneymike

Post by disneymike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:26 pm

sbooth wrote:You can adjust the parameters if you'd like- if a disc is in AccurateRip it is a moot point, because if a rip matches AR it will be encoded immediately. If a disc isn't in AR and it is brand new you could adjust down if you'd like- I would leave the sector matches at 3 (or 2) and change the track matches to 1.
I tried a disc which is in AccurateRip and it worked fine and seemed to be faster than in version 1.0b8.

I am still having trouble with discs which are not in AccurateRip. I have not been able to rip a single disc like this. If I check all tracks and rip, it will successfully rip only one track, usually the last track although Rip reports it has successfully converted all tracks. This is with the track matches set to 1, retries set to 5 and sector matches set to 3.

I noticed when looking at the drive configurations in preferences, sometimes the drive information is blank except for the C2 checkbox, but it seems to work fine. I think it's just a display issue.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

disneymike wrote:I am still having trouble with discs which are not in AccurateRip. I have not been able to rip a single disc like this. If I check all tracks and rip, it will successfully rip only one track, usually the last track although Rip reports it has successfully converted all tracks. This is with the track matches set to 1, retries set to 5 and sector matches set to 3.
So you are saying that Rip reports all tracks were successfully extracted, but there are no output files? If so, please provide a bit more info: your output folder, naming settings, log file, etc.
I noticed when looking at the drive configurations in preferences, sometimes the drive information is blank except for the C2 checkbox, but it seems to work fine. I think it's just a display issue.
This isn't a problem- the drive information is only populated when a disc is in the drive.

disneymike

Post by disneymike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm

sbooth wrote:So you are saying that Rip reports all tracks were successfully extracted, but there are no output files? If so, please provide a bit more info: your output folder, naming settings, log file, etc.
Yes, Rip reports all tracks were successfully extracted, but I only find 1 track in my output folder. I'll run this again and provide the log file and info you requested. Thanks for your help!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 am

I assume you clicked "Copy Tracks" and not "Copy Image"?

disneymike

Post by disneymike » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:25 pm

sbooth wrote:I assume you clicked "Copy Tracks" and not "Copy Image"?
I retried 3 discs which were not in the AccurateRip database and all of them extracted all tracks successfully. I may have clicked "Copy Image" inadvertantly, but it's hard to imagine I did it on all 3 CDs previously! But you never know, stranger things have happened. LOL

I'll keep you posted if I have any issues with non AccurateRip discs in the future.

BTW, what exactly does the "Copy Image" feature do?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:38 am

Copy Image will create one file containing the entire disc's audio, vs. one file per track.

disneymike

Post by disneymike » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 pm

sbooth wrote:Copy Image will create one file containing the entire disc's audio, vs. one file per track.
That makes sense. Thank you. I had the impression it had to do with album cover artwork.