Some RIP thoughts/moments ...

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
Fuga

Some RIP thoughts/moments ...

Post by Fuga » Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 pm

I had a whole other note to write plus a few crash logs to send and then I find this latest b7 release. All is now well. I’d been having crashes at the end of ripping, no meta data, and no resulting files anywhere if I had “custom file naming.” All is good so far - only doing CD to ALAC.

Yay! for metadata.

Hey, the eject icon is working! I hadn’t even been bothering to use it since Max.

Oddity: At the end of ripping a little window briefly appears saying all went well and has the choices of clicking “OK” or “Details.” Trouble is it disappears immediately.

Sorry if it’s been brought up already ... Are there any plans for multiple simultaneous encode results? More, if so, any plans to include “fileFormat” in custom file naming so we can more efficiently rip various formats to differing outputs?

Now the biggie: C2 error correcting. I have this one CD which is about a year old and pristine. It sounds perfect. With C2 on it can not rip. Worse, it doesn’t give up. Every time I try it gets hung up with no consistency as to where - one time in the first track, another somewhere else. It’ll just keep trying the same bunch of sectors until I hit cmd-period. Isn’t this why cdparanoia is frowned upon, this perchance wearing out a drive? Speaking of paranoia, with C2 off this CD rips with full AR verification and in XLD (which is using the latest v10 paranoia) gives perfect test/copy + AR.

P.S. Please check PM.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Some RIP thoughts/moments ...

Post by sbooth » Sat May 23, 2009 3:57 am

Fuga wrote:Oddity: At the end of ripping a little window briefly appears saying all went well and has the choices of clicking “OK” or “Details.” Trouble is it disappears immediately.
I wanted to display some indication of the results that wouldn't require user input to dismiss, so the sheet auto-dismisses in 5 seconds.
Sorry if it’s been brought up already ... Are there any plans for multiple simultaneous encode results? More, if so, any plans to include “fileFormat” in custom file naming so we can more efficiently rip various formats to differing outputs?
No, I have no plans to add simultaneous output encoding to Rip.
Now the biggie: C2 error correcting. I have this one CD which is about a year old and pristine. It sounds perfect. With C2 on it can not rip. Worse, it doesn’t give up. Every time I try it gets hung up with no consistency as to where - one time in the first track, another somewhere else. It’ll just keep trying the same bunch of sectors until I hit cmd-period. Isn’t this why cdparanoia is frowned upon, this perchance wearing out a drive? Speaking of paranoia, with C2 off this CD rips with full AR verification and in XLD (which is using the latest v10 paranoia) gives perfect test/copy + AR.
This is the nature of C2- the drive may report errors for sectors that are not recoverable. This doesn't mean that the sector necessarily contains bad data, as you've discovered. I'm still in the process of tweaking the ripping engine so that this kind of thing doesn't occur.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sat May 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Why not simultaneous encode? :( :( :(

That is the glowing, masterful hallmark of Max. Plus XLD has it though does not allow the fileFormat structure in output.

paco

Post by paco » Sat May 23, 2009 2:32 pm

+1 for simultaneous output encoding! :)

It is a very useful feature as it allows us to rip to lossless for archival functions and automatically generate a lossy version for our portable devices.

I am sure this could be done quite elegantly in the UI (simple to configure). It could be as easy as a checkmark named "Compress lossy version for portable devices" with a drop-down menu for LAME or AAC settings and a field to configure the lossy file naming and location.

__.
paco

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sat May 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Yep. I'd bet good money a poll would show overwhelming support for it. Plus, the code exists in some form already via Max. Although I admit, for all I know it'd be harder to bring it into Rip than to just do from scratch. What I do know is without Rip is useless to me.