C2 Recommendation? Off or On?

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
elduderino

C2 Recommendation? Off or On?

Post by elduderino » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 pm

What's the consensus on this? I notice for discs that have some mild damage, the C2 stuff kicks in and takes forever to "re-extract sectors"...I don't mind waiting the time required for this, so long as C2 is reliable and worth using. I notice there is a checkbox where the user can disable C2 on their drive if they want. What's the recommendation on this? FWIW, I am using my built in CDROM drive in my early 2008 Mac Pro tower. It happens to be a Pioneer 112D that came with the Mac.

Thanks all.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: C2 Recommendation? Off or On?

Post by sbooth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 pm

I recommend turning this ON- most Apple internal drives seem to have decent C2 support so you'd be setting yourself up to miss some errors without it.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:25 am

OK, thanks for the feedback on this. Here's my problem - I just put in a CD with literally 1 very small blemish, otherwise the disc is perfect quality, and I am VERY picky about these things. With C2 enabled, it has literally been 2 and a half hours and it is stuck trying to "re-extract over and over" from track 7 of a CD with 9 tracks. Again, this is a virtually pristine disc, with 1 small blemish. I can't get through 500+ CD's this way - I have a ton of patience for a quality rip, but I can't wait 3 hours per disc, and even then have it hose up the ripping process entirely.

With that in mind, my thought was to disable C2 and re-run that way. If I do this, do you think the ripping quality will still be better than I used to have with Max using cdparanoia mode? I'm curious how the 2 situations would compare...Rip without C2 correction vs. Max with cdparanoia....

Thoughts? Thanks as always sbooth, you've got a winner on your hands with this app, I still believe that.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:44 am

If there is data missing on the disc due to the blemish you mention, Rip will run forever trying to get an accurate rip because the drive is reporting the error (this is what C2 is intended to do). I'm working on the failure logic for the next release which will allow Rip to fail after a certain number of attempts or time.

If you disable C2 and get a Rip that is verified with AccurateRip, you're probably OK. If you disable C2 and don't get AccurateRip verification this likely means you are getting repeatable read errors due to data loss or corruption. I don't think anything outside of C2 can help in this case, because without the hardware reporting the errors there is no way to tell that an error is occurring if it is 100% repeatable.

bollewolle

Post by bollewolle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Perhaps this could be a nice feature, that in case the AccurateRip result of a track isn't correct that this track is re-ripped with C2 verification on? Don't know anything about the difficulty or the possibility to implement something like that, but could be interesting. Saves time in case the disk is correct with AccurateRip and also if it only needs to do a few C2 verifications.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:35 am

I'm having issues with C2 on beta 5 as well. I've got a couple of disks that have a bad track on them, according to Rip.

I let Rip run on one the tracks last night. It was showing C2 errors. After the first extraction, rip would go back a re-extract the same groups of sectors a number of times. This morning, I checked it, and rip was re-extracting a sub-set of the sectors it started working on last night, so I let it keep running. I finally killed it after about 14 hours, because Rip had become unresponsive (spinning color wheel). I took a sample of Rip in Activity Monitor before I killed it, but nothing jumped out at me.

However, with some digging I did find the following. Rip had created 33,000 files using about 67.5 GB of space in the following directory:

/private/var/folders/DB/DBqwMq0m2RWjL++87vDCJ++++TQ/-Tmp-

They were almost all 2 Mb .wav files (some were the other extracted tracks from the same disk and some pngs for the album artwork). The file names of the wav files were all 8 digit hex numbers, but not in any order I could notice. These files were still being created, even though Rip was shown as non responding and the GUI was non-responsive.

Extracting that track with C2 disabled resulted in an AccurateRip the first time through...

Should I file a bug on this? Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:27 am

I would say this bug is a feature (!), at least for now. I'm still working out the logic for extraction failure, and on using partial sector comparison for verification. The way things work now, if any sector from a track has a C2 error, the rip will never succeed. I'm trying to decide the best way to decide when enough is enough.

hunt

Post by hunt » Sun May 10, 2009 6:08 pm

preference? dialog?