Bizarre Rip Problem Still

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
elduderino

Bizarre Rip Problem Still

Post by elduderino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 am

OK, so I've been testing with Rip, the latest version, beta3 I guess. I still have the problem I noticed in the first version, but am starting to think it's not necessarily a Rip problem per se. When I rip in WAVE or ALAC format, the files show up in the directory I've specified in Preferences as they should. No problems. BUT! If I try to rip to FLAC, the format I really want, it goes through the ripping process and takes just as long, but the files are nowhere to be found! They vanish, they aren't ever saved to the computer at all, its bizarre, I can't explain it. The directory gets created, and the album directory as well, but the only file that will end up in the directory is the .log file at the end, which indicates everything worked fine, that each .flac file was saved, etc. But they are not there, ever. I've tried like 8 discs now and tried specifying different directories, some on my main start up volume, some on external USB drives, etc., nothing works at all with .flac files. Everything works fine with WAVE and ALAC files, working perfectly in fact.

I'm starting to think it's some sort of inter-operability issue. I have been using Max for years to rip to FLAC and MP3 simultaneously. I also use Play to play flacs when listening to music. But neither Max nor Play was even running when I was using Rip, not that that should matter. The only other program I know of that I have that interacts at all with FLAC files is Toast 9 Titanium. It has the ability to play FLAC files, and once in a blue moon I have used it for that. Mostly though, I use Play for such purposes.

SBOOTH, my man, what on earth could this be? When we figure it out, I'm sure I'm gonna be floored that I didn't know it right away, this is a bizarre riddle for sure. By the way, other than my little issue here, not so little!, I absolutely love the app, very easy to use, tight integration with iTunes metadata, Accurate RIP, etc. My one remaining need really is the ability to Rip to FLAC and MP3 simultaneously. My workflow is otherwise going to be very kludgy if I have to take the FLAC files and re-run them through Max to get my MP3's that I need as well. Oh, and custom output naming, which I know you're working on.

Thoughts on my FLAC problem though? The case of the missing FLAC Files!!!
Cheers!
Brian

elduderino

Re: Bizarre Rip Problem Still

Post by elduderino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:20 am

By the way, this is getting even more interesting-er...So, I happen to have a VMWare slice of Leopard Server that I use for testing and such that has the same exact OS version of Server that I have as my host OS. Same patch level, everything. The only difference is that the VM instance of Leopard Server *does not* have Play, or Max, or Toast on it, the 3 programs that I guessed might be creating the problem. I just loaded Rip on this VM instance, and can rip to FLAC now perfectly on that "machine".

Now I just need to figure out which of these 3 app's is the enemy (Max, Play, or Toast). Care to wager a guess anyone?

More testing continues here...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 am

I would personally hope that it's Toast <grin>.

That is a very strange problem. Rip uses the flac command-line encoder to create FLAC files. If you reach an impasse one thing to try would be to run the flac included in Rip directly from Terminal to see if it works properly.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:41 am

Hmmm, and how would I run that from Terminal? What commands in other words? I can try it now, as I totally am at a loss here now.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Try this (assuming Rip is in /Applications):

Code: Select all

cd /Applications/Rip.app/Contents/PlugIns/FLAC.bundle/Contents
./flac --help
This should output FLAC's help. It should give you an idea of its usage.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 am

Can you give me a sample command for flac? I seem to be striking out even after reviewing the help files. When I have a CD inserted, the cd ends up under /Volumes/Jethro Tull for instance. so, my command looked like this:

bash-3.2$ ./flac -V -8 /Volumes/Songs\ From\ The\ Wood/

But it doesn't like the input value...how do i specify a particular song within that album for instance? I've tried a space, another \, etc. and no workie...

I must be doing something slightly wrong here. Help?

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Something like:
./flac -8 /Volumes/Songs\ From\ The\ Wood/*.*

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 am

Ok, thanks guys, no workie from the FLAC command line...reference the below...can someone confirm that has Max loaded locally, whether Max is interfering with Rip....

bash-3.2$ ./flac -8 /Volumes/Songs\ From\ The\ Wood/*.*

flac 1.2.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

1 Songs From The Wood.aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)

1 Songs From The Wood.aiff: ERROR initializing encoder
init_status = FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_INIT_STATUS_ENCODER_ERROR
state = FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_IO_ERROR

An error occurred opening the output file; it is likely that the output
directory does not exist or is not writable, the output file already exists and
is not writable, or the disk is full.

10 Beltane.aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)

10 Beltane.aiff: ERROR initializing encoder

11 Velvet Green [Live].aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)

11 Velvet Green [Live].aiff: ERROR initializing encoder

2 Jack-In-The-Green.aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)

2 Jack-In-The-Green.aiff: ERROR initializing encoder

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 am

If you try to compress only one file and specify the name of the output file using -o does it work?

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:32 am

Hmmm, weird, I did as you requested and it worked to encode a .flac file succesfully!!! The file plays fine in Play as well, so it definitely did the right thing...Here is the snippet:

bash-3.2$ ./flac -8 /Volumes/Songs\ From\ The\ Wood/4\ Hunting\ Girl.aiff -o /Users/thedude/Desktop/Huntinggirl.flac

flac 1.2.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

4 Hunting Girl.aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
4 Hunting Girl.aiff: wrote 36261430 bytes, ratio=0.657
bash-3.2$

So what now? Why is this not working when using the GUI of Rip to encode? Hmmmmm...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:51 am

It seems that for some reason /Volumes/Songs is not writable by the FLAC encoder. Can you post details about this volume?

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 am

Oh, no, I think you've got this a little backwards.../Volumes/Songs from the Wood is the CD volume when this particular CD is inserted. The disc is from Jethro Tull and the title is Songs from the Wood. So, I would not be writing *to* that volume ever, I am reading *from* it, and encoding FLAC's to either 1. My user desktop (on the main boot drive), or to a separate RAID0 partition called /Data/Music/blah blah blah....I have tried other discs too, same results, but this disc was brand new from the store, so i'm using it as a 'control'.

My example I gave worked perfectly to encode a FLAC of a single song from the CD. I have tried other single songs from the flac command line and they work too, and they work when saving to /Data/Music/..... or when saving to the Desktop of the logged in user which sits on the main boot drive. So, target of drive doesn't seem to be the issue at all, and using command line FLAC commands results in success when choosing a single song. However, if I try to choose the whole CD from the command line FLAC, it fails with the errors I posted earlier, a small snippet of which is posted below again:

8 Pibroch (Cap In Hand).aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)

8 Pibroch (Cap In Hand).aiff: ERROR initializing encoder

9 Fire At Midnight.aiff: WARNING: skipping unknown chunk 'FVER' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)

9 Fire At Midnight.aiff: ERROR initializing encoder

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I did misunderstand- I didn't realize you were attempting to compress the AIFF files straight from the CD. By default flac encodes to the same directory as the input files so without explicitly specifying -o encoding directly from the disc won't work (since the disc isn't writable, obviously).

At least we've been able to determine that the FLAC encoder works properly.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Still having same problem with the latest Beta as well. Here are some console log lines that might be helpful:

3/22/09 11:53:23 AM Rip[396] Error loading /Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler/Menu Extra Enabler.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Menu Extra Enabler: dlopen(/Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler/Menu Extra Enabler.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Menu Extra Enabler, 265): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler/Menu Extra Enabler.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Menu Extra Enabler: GC capability mismatch
3/22/09 11:53:23 AM com.apple.coreservicesd[83] NOTE: Using non-mach-based version of client -> server communication, via direct function calls.
3/22/09 11:53:23 AM com.apple.coreservicesd[83] NOTE: Using non-mach-based version of client -> server communication, via direct function calls.
3/22/09 11:53:48 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].org.sbooth.Rip[396] Rip: unknown type name "tdta".
3/22/09 11:53:48 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].org.sbooth.Rip[396] Rip: unknown type name "tdta".
3/22/09 11:55:16 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].org.sbooth.Rip[396] Rip(396,0xb0129000) malloc: free_garbage: garbage ptr = 0x7263890, has non-zero refcount = 1
3/22/09 11:55:16 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].org.sbooth.Rip[396] Rip(396,0xb0129000) malloc: free_garbage: garbage ptr = 0x7326b40, has non-zero refcount = 1
3/22/09 11:55:16 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].org.sbooth.Rip[396] Rip(396,0xb0129000) malloc: free_garbage: garbage ptr = 0x7326b40, has non-zero refcount = 1

Anything you make from this? Here's what's weird...The files are no where to be found and do not actually end up in the folder structure, only the .log file showing success does. No actual FLAC files at all in that directory. However, as Rip is doing its thing, I can see the disk space being reduced in the Finder as if the files are indeed being written to disc somewhere, because my 'available' space goes down considerably as each track is ripped. Crazy weird, spotlight of course doesn't find them, they should be right in that directory that gets created through the default output schema that i am using to place them on 'Desktop'.

THis is driving me nuts, I've got like 1500 new CD's to rip and really want to use Rip for it instead of Max, no go right now though.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:46 pm

By the way...in my efforts to isolate this issue, here are some other things I've done...these steps were all taken prior to getting the errors I just reported in my earlier post today. The steps below obviously had no positive effect on my problem. But thinking it was a compatibility issue with some other software on my Mac, I took these steps:

1. Removed all other audio related software other than iTunes...so I removed Play, Max, Toast 9, Audio Hijack Pro, etc.

2. Removed all associated Preferences files for the above mentioned software...so the plist files for Max, Play, Toast, etc. etc.

3. Rebooted the machine.

4. Corrected all Permissions through Disk Utility on the boot drive.

5. Installed fresh copy of Rip, latest Beta from last week.

Incidentally, after still getting nowhere on this, I loaded XLD just to see if it would work. It works perfectly. I can extract to FLAC no problem, the files actually appear where they should, etc. They even play thru XLD fine afterwards.

Problem is, I really want to use Rip, not XLD, but figured it was an interesting troubleshooting step for sure.

Can you assist sbooth?

Thanks as always, I'll await any direction from your end.