Bug Tracking Systems

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
sbooth
Site Admin

Bug Tracking Systems

Post by sbooth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:04 am

Does anyone have any favorite bug tracking systems? I've tried/looked at Trac, mantis, LaunchPad, Bugzilla, Drupal's project manager, uservoice, and some others I can't remember. All of them seem to have some strong points, but weak points as well. I'm having trouble settling on one that I really like.

Ben

Re: Bug Tracking Systems

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:33 am

Have you looked at Redmine? I don't have much experience with it, other then fooling around with their sample, but it seems nice. I know the guys at Panic were considering it earlier this year. I don't know whether they finally settled on it or not.

Here is another blog that has a list of links to some bug tracker comparisons.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:38 am

I'll check out Redmine, thanks for the link. At first glance it seems similar to trac in functionality, which is nice.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:36 am

I really like bugzilla.
I am not much of a developer myself, but follow the Camino (web browser) development tightly. They, like Mozilla themselves, use Bugzilla which seems to have all the needed features, Status, priority, importance, voting, email list, attachments, list of other bugs it depends on, and more. Its also the fact that I have gotten used to it..

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:36 pm

sbooth wrote:I'll check out Redmine, thanks for the link. At first glance it seems similar to trac in functionality, which is nice.
It looks like they've made the demo server harder to find. Here's the link, just in case:

http://demo.redmine.org/

Ben

brodie

Post by brodie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:23 am

If you're looking to do bug tracking for one project or a couple of closely related projects I would recommend Trac. It has a very polished interface and it's easy to get running. It doesn't directly support multiple projects yet though.

I've used Redmine but I'm not a huge fan of it. Setting it up for production use with mongrel can be pretty complicated, and the UI isn't that great in my experience. The way it does multiple projects can be a little confusing, and the search feature is somehow worse than Trac's. I also don't like the wiki format (it uses Textile). Trac has its own format, but you can use pretty much any other format that has a preprocessor (like Restructured Text). You can also do code highlighting in Trac using Pygments, which highlights about anything you can throw at it.

I've also seen continuous build integration with Trac, but I haven't experimented with it myself.

If you decide to mess with Trac, I recommend using mod_wsgi if you use Apache. I can't recommend using anything else but mod_wsgi for running Python applications.

Also, I've used Mantis and it absolutely terrible. It feels like something made a decade ago. Bugzilla is heavy handed in a similar way. Launchpad looks interesting. Bitbucket is a comparable service if you're interested in using Mercurial. If you want to stick with Subversion (which I could never recommend), Google Code might be an option. I personally don't like its wiki, but the bug tracking system is okay.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:55 am

The code for Rip has been in git from day one, so the options for integrated bug tracking seem limited.

brodie

Post by brodie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:13 am

Yeah, as far as I know GitHub doesn't have any bug tracking facilities. I believe Redmine supports Git, and Trac probably has a plugin for it, but I've never found the integration useful. For Mercurial I would just run hgweb and link to changesets in tickets if I need to. You could do the same with gitweb + whatever.

I would recommend taking a look at Mercurial if you haven't already and mess around with Bitbucket. The Git vs. Mercurial debate seems to be getting into religious proportions recently though.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 am

I've bitten the bullet and switched bug trackers- the new issue tracker is at https://bugs.launchpad.net/rip . I'll do my best to migrate over issues from the uservoice tracker.

I will be open-sourcing the code at some point, but I haven't decided on a license yet. I'm still in the process of importing the git repo into bzr.