max not saving names in cue sheet?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
stakadush

max not saving names in cue sheet?

Post by stakadush » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:42 am

hello

i've ripped a cd with Max 0.7.1, into a single flac file with a cue sheet.

the cue sheet is being embedded but when i drag it into XLD all the tracks appear as Track 1, Track 2 etc... and it doesn't recognize also the album title, artist etc...

XLD recognizes there is an embedded cue sheet, and uses it, but everything is untitled...

is this a bug in the way Max is embedding the cue sheet, or is it a bug with XLD? (XLD hasn't failed for other files with embedded cue sheet which were made with EAC on windows)...

will it work better with ape or wavepack?

thanks for a great application :)

p.s.
loading the file in Tag shows the album information (is it possible to see track information?), but i need other applications to be able to ready it also :)

stakadush

Post by stakadush » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 am

i've just tried with the unstable version, ripping a different cd, and got the same results...

i tried with ape, which doesnt seem to embed the cue sheet, and also doesnt create a separate cue file.... am i missing something?

in the preferences under ripper, i selected to rip to a single file & generate a cue sheet.

thanks.... :)

stakadush

Post by stakadush » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 am

another thing i tried now was to rip into single files, and then convert to mp3 using XLD.

also didn't pass on the artist name, album title, track name, track number... nothing....

seems like track name was taken from the filename....

what gives?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Right now Max only generates external cue sheets for MP3 and WAV files. I did this because the cue sheet "specification" I worked from said these are the only two valid formats. It would not be hard to allow external cuesheets for other formats, though.

I don't know what you're asking when you say "what gives". Max will generate a cue sheet for each rip, so if you are ripping to single files you will end up with a cue sheet for each file, or possibly only one for the last file ripped if the previous cuesheets were overwritten. Did you open the cuesheet(s) in a text editor to see what was in them?

Also, as far as I know, embedded FLAC cuesheets don't support per-track metadata. See http://flac.sourceforge.net/api/structF ... Track.html. An embedded FLAC cuesheet is nothing but a CDTOC, in essence.

stakadush

Post by stakadush » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:24 am

indeed ripping to wave file created a cue sheet, which i could then use with XLD on the ape file i created...thanks... :)

i think you're right about cue sheets are only meant for wave and mp3, though most (if not all) encoding/decoding programs support cue sheets for other types. for example, with XLD, when loading a cue sheet it asks for the appropriate audio file (if no wave file with same name can be found), and then uses the cue sheet for splitting that audio file...
so, would be great if you could add support for creating a cue sheet for any filetype, as it will save the time converting to both wave and ape just for getting the cue file. :)

also, i have ape, wavpack and flac files with embedded cue sheet that load into XLD, with all titles ok.... these files were processed using foobar2000 (on a pc) - http://www.foobar2000.org/

would be great to have this functionality in os x (so dont need to excuse for micro$oft friends!).... :)

for now anyway i will encode to wave and ape to get the cue sheet... :)

thanks

p.s.
maybe if possible to add an option in the preferences to select if the cue sheet should be an extrenal file or embedded... right now it is not obvious, as it embeds automatically for flac, nothing for ape, and external for wave :)

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:31 am

sbooth wrote:Also, as far as I know, embedded FLAC cuesheets don't support per-track metadata. See http://flac.sourceforge.net/api/structF ... Track.html. An embedded FLAC cuesheet is nothing but a CDTOC, in essence.
Thanks for the information.

I just started experimenting with Max's "Rip to a single file" and "Generate a cuesheet" functions, and I hadn't known that.

I opened one in XLD, found the same as the earlier poster did, and was likewise surprised. But I can see the FLAC spec makes sense, because if I put a CD in a CD player, all that displays is the track numbers. :idea:

I have been archiving my CDs as individual FLAC files tagged with metadata, but I suppose from the point of view of having what's necessary to re-create a CD in case of damage or deterioration, a single FLAC with the equivalent of a CDTOC does the job.

And if I want to play a single FLAC and don't want to look the CD case out for the track listing, XLD (and presumably other players on other platforms) lets me query the CDDB on the fly.

stakadush

Post by stakadush » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:39 am

i have a few rare cds (indian and arabic music) which are not available on freedb, or musicbrainz (on gracenote they are, but that doesnt help us much :x )... so having the ability to put names is more flexible, and easy... it is possible anyway, so why not? :)

another thing i noticed is that max doesnt put the performer tag for every track, which makes XLD (and maybe other decoders/players) produce an empty artist for the tracks....