Add To Itunes library won't work

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
squabsy

Add To Itunes library won't work

Post by squabsy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:59 pm

When I try to use this function I get an error message i.e. iTunes got an error: alias "RLLE:Music:LossLess:Various Artists:NME The Essential Bands:Various Artists_NME The Essential Bands_16_Somewhere Else.m4a" doesn't understand the add message.
I using apple lossless encoder

squabsy

Post by squabsy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:32 am

Anyone else got add to itunes library working ?

squabsy

Post by squabsy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 am

hello sorry to keep on but I'm a bit dissapointed no-one at all has responded to my query

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:34 pm

I can't duplicate the error message. What are your encoder settings and your output settings? What version of Max are you using and are you ripping a CD or converting a file?

squabsy

Post by squabsy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:23 pm

I'm not at home right now so cannot comment on exact encoder settings but its mpeg 4 Apple lossless
I am ripping CD's
the output is set to put a file in a folder like this
/music/lossless/Artist/Album/Artist_Album_track_title.m4a

The music folder is on an external hard drive. Itunes is set to use the lossless folder as its library

Does this help or do you need more info ?

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:21 am

I'm still not sure what the problem could be. Some questions:
  • Do you have any iTunes plugins or addons installed?
  • Do you have OS 9 on your computer?
  • Which version of Max are you using?
  • Which version of iTunes are you using?

squabsy

Post by squabsy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks for help.

1) QT ogg component/Itunes Library Manager and other scripts from Dougs Itunes scripts /Igoom visualizer
2) No
3)0.5.6
4)6.0.4

hope that helps

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:32 pm

iTunes Library Manager might be the culprit. This is convoluted, but trying this might work:
  • Quit iTunes
  • Rename your iTunes library folder (~/Music/iTunes) to something else, like iTunes~
  • Rename your iTunes preferences file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.plist) to something else, like com.apple.itunes.plist~
  • Rename the iTunes Library Manager (~/Llibrary/iTunes/Scripts/iTunes Library Manager.app) to something else, like iTunes Library Manager.app~
  • Open iTunes. You'll probably have to agree to the license like you did the very first time that you opened iTunes. Also, your library will be empty. Don't worry, iTunes just can't find it's database file because you renamed the folder that it's in, which is what we want.
  • Use Max to rip a CD to Apple Lossless and to import it iTunes, then tell me if it works
Sorry that's such a long process.

squabsy

Post by squabsy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks for the ongoing help.
I am hesistant to follow your previous suggestions are we doing this just to eliminate / confirm that Itune Library manager is the issue.
I have spent quite a bit of time setting up my various Itunes library for my own use and my families, with Lossless archive on a seperate external drive etc etc and I am nervous about wrecking that set up.
If I follow your instructions will it be easy to put everything back to how it is now ?
Also if it turns out Itunes Library manager is the problem what then ? as I would like to keep using this useful script.

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:20 pm

Yes, this is just to confirm whether or not iTunes Library Manager is causing the problem, and, yes, everything will be easy to revert. All you need to do is change the names of the files back to what they were.

I'm not sure what you could do if iTunes Library Manager is the problem, but it would at least be good to know.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm

If you rip to MP3 are you able to get the files to automatically add to iTunes?

Kosjer D

Post by Kosjer D » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:51 am

well i also cant add songs by max to the library. and in my case i try to import mp3 files. :\ but i guess i already know the issue. i am using the german localization of max and itunes. but i guess the apple script commands which are responsible for the itunes import arent localized yet. so max is unable to command itunes to import the songs into its library . might that be???

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 01, 2006 3:55 am

Kosjer D wrote:well i also cant add songs by max to the library. and in my case i try to import mp3 files. :\ but i guess i already know the issue. i am using the german localization of max and itunes. but i guess the apple script commands which are responsible for the itunes import arent localized yet. so max is unable to command itunes to import the songs into its library . might that be???
I don't know too much about AppleScript- is it necessary to localize the commands? For example, part of the script Max uses looks like:

Code: Select all

tell application "iTunes"
		set audio_item to (add audio_file to source "Library")
		if playlist_name is not equal to "" then
			set the_playlist to my get_playlist(playlist_name)
			duplicate audio_item to the_playlist
			set result to audio_item
		end if
	end tell
If you are using the German version of iTunes, do the script commands "tell", "set", etc. have different names? I can't imagine this is the case, but like I said, I am an AppleScript newbie...

topcat

Post by topcat » Mon May 08, 2006 7:33 am

i have just heard about Max, just tried it with the option to add tracks to iTunes and iy failed with the message others are reporting. My music is on an external drive also. Perhaps your script is looking in the music folder in the home folder?

matsbox01

Post by matsbox01 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:54 pm

I have the same issue. I moved my itunes onto an external drive and get the same error trying to load the documents into itunes. Is there a way to modifiy the best script