Problem when converting from FLAC to ALAC ("Custom Name

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Post Reply
Ankhenaton
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:54 am

Problem when converting from FLAC to ALAC ("Custom Name

Post by Ankhenaton » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:03 am

Hello, I am having problems when converting FLAC to ALAC using the newest version of MAX.

Whenever it tries to convert the file, it says
"An error occured while encoding the file "Maxu4ngFf1h.aiff". The custom naming string appears to be invalid.
What am I doing wrong and what must I do to fix this? I am trying to put these songs on my iPod but I can't with them as FLAC. (Don't want to use Flacbox either)

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:40 pm

In the Output preferences, what is set as your File Naming Format string?

If it is blank, you will need to either enter one or uncheck the Specify file names for output checkbox.

Ankhenaton
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:54 am

Post by Ankhenaton » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:48 am

sbooth wrote:In the Output preferences, what is set as your File Naming Format string?

If it is blank, you will need to either enter one or uncheck the Specify file names for output checkbox.
WOW!! your latter suggestion worked like a charm and I got tags!

Thanx!!!!

One more question though. When I rip to ALAC, all my music filenames are formatted like "-1.mp4" "-2.mp4" etc.

Why aren't the tags showing up? When I use the "get info" feature, the tag info is there but the filenames aren't retaining the tags.

How do I fix this?

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Ankhenaton wrote:One more question though. When I rip to ALAC, all my music filenames are formatted like "-1.mp4" "-2.mp4" etc.

Why aren't the tags showing up? When I use the "get info" feature, the tag info is there but the filenames aren't retaining the tags.
Can you post your File Naming Format string here? It sounds like you have custom naming turned on, but the format string is mostly empty or possibly malformed.

How is it that you want your files to be named? For a "standard" setup you might not even need the custom file naming- it just depends on what you want your library's layout to be.

kothrush
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:13 pm

Naming String

Post by kothrush » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:25 pm

I also has the same problem as described above. I unchceked custom naming and everything working fine. My string was :

{discArtist}/{discTitle}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle}

whats going on here?

Also when I am converting to ALAC , with "High" or "Max" setting, the bitrate is not recognized by iTunes. It says "unknown". While you can see the bitrate in QT fine.

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Naming String

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:39 pm

kothrush wrote:I also has the same problem as described above. I unchceked custom naming and everything working fine. My string was :

{discArtist}/{discTitle}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle}

whats going on here?
I'm not sure! I just tried that string with 0.5.6 and it worked for FLAC and AAC at least. Is the output directory writable?
kothrush wrote:Also when I am converting to ALAC , with "High" or "Max" setting, the bitrate is not recognized by iTunes. It says "unknown". While you can see the bitrate in QT fine.
There was some discussion of that issue on this thread and this one.

To sum up, I think it's because the Core Audio AAC encoder isn't setting the magic cookie that iTunes uses to determine bitrate.

Ankhenaton
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:54 am

Post by Ankhenaton » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 am

Actually kothbrush had the same problem and I used the advice you gave him. Thanx!! And sorry for taking so long to reply, I work 2 jobs.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests