Album Cover Art

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
koschate

Album Cover Art

Post by koschate » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:28 am

I'm glad to see the album cover art feature added, but it doesn't seem to help much for FLAC files, at least. Could we get the cover file saved as cover.jpg in the target encoder directory? That would make my Slimserver happy.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:53 am

I'll add this feature for the next version, I think it's a good idea.

http://sbooth.org/mantis/view.php?id=73

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:32 am

Should the file name and type be configurable? (Probably!)

koschate

Post by koschate » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:40 am

[quote="sbooth"]Should the file name and type be configurable? (Probably!)[/quote]

Almost certainly it should be configurable. For what it's worth, here's what it says about artwork for Slimserver:

Images of album artwork, when available, are displayed when viewing an album or song information. Artwork images are found in the ID3 tags for individual songs or can reside in the same folder as song files. By default, images named "cover.jpg", "albumartsmall.jpg", "folder.jpg", "album.jpg", or "thumb.jpg" are used. You can specify an additional file name to use for album art images. You can specify different file names for thumbnail or full size images. Prefix the option with % and you can follow it with any string made up of the same elements available for Title Formats (eq %ARTIST - ALBUM, will look for Artist - Album.jpg to fit the artist and album information found.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Stephen wrote: "Should the file name and type be configurable? "

Yes.

I name all of my covers as: Front Cover - Album Name.filetype

Other images get other names, obviuosly.

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com

Eric Le Baron

album artwork

Post by Eric Le Baron » Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Just started using Max.
I use it to convert my music cd's to FLAC for use with my Squeezeboxes and thought that the album artwork would be stored in the FLAC file for use with the Slimserver.
So after reading the postings above the conclusion is that this is not correct right?
So far I used AAC but that format does not give the possibility to fast forward on the Squeezebox.

arrakian

Post by arrakian » Sun May 07, 2006 9:45 am

Is there a way to ad album art to AIFF files? If not, this should be a feature of a future release, for iTunes sake.

davebarnes

AIFF and artwork

Post by davebarnes » Sun May 07, 2006 3:07 pm

arrakian,

I am not an expert, but I looked up AIFF at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIFF and it does not appear to support artwork as one its "chunks".

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

arrakian

Post by arrakian » Sun May 07, 2006 5:38 pm

I just tried it in iTunes, and the art took.

aBrowser

Where does the Cover art live?

Post by aBrowser » Wed May 10, 2006 12:39 am

I give up... I have the latest MAX, 0.5.6 and from what I read and have seen it supports cover art downloads. I have retrieved cover art and cilcking on the cover art button pops a window with a nice cover showing. however, I can't seem to find an image file on disk? All I want to do is import my encoded music, with the cover art into silmserver... what am I missing?

I rip my CD, and encode into FLAC and mp3... if that matters.

tia

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Wed May 10, 2006 1:52 am

aBrowser,

I can't respond regarding MP3 as I never use it.

With regards to FLAC. FLAC does not support "art" as part of its meta data, as far as I can tell.

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Where does the Cover art live?

Post by sbooth » Wed May 10, 2006 7:51 am

aBrowser wrote:I give up... I have the latest MAX, 0.5.6 and from what I read and have seen it supports cover art downloads. I have retrieved cover art and cilcking on the cover art button pops a window with a nice cover showing. however, I can't seem to find an image file on disk? All I want to do is import my encoded music, with the cover art into silmserver... what am I missing?

I rip my CD, and encode into FLAC and mp3... if that matters.
Max 0.5.6 doesn't support saving the album art to a file- this will be in the next version (or you can get it right now from the svn version).

Dave is right, FLAC doesn't support cover art embedded in tags. Vorbis comments are only supposed to contain plain text, so binary-type data is not allowed.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:49 pm

I tried to use the cover art feature, but how does this work?
Because I turned the source site to 'amazon.co.jp' and it never seem to fetch a cover from about last 5 CD I tried.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:52 am

Sithgunner,

0. Start with a CD that you know has cover art on the website you plan to use.
1. Insert CD.
2. Launch Max.
3. Click on the "Album Art" icon and a side window opens.
4. Go up to the main Max menu and select "Compact Disc" and then select "Download Album Art..."
5. Click on "Use Selected"

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:00 am

Sithgunner wrote:I tried to use the cover art feature, but how does this work?
Because I turned the source site to 'amazon.co.jp' and it never seem to fetch a cover from about last 5 CD I tried.
Depending on the name of the CD retrieved from FreeDB vs. the name of the CD on amazon, you might have to manually edit the disc name and clikc search to find cover matches. For example, many multi-disc sets have (Disc X) in the title, which doesn't match on amazon. I often end up removing these manually.