File permission error? (mp3 encoding)

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
bhawkins

Re: File permission error? (mp3 encoding)

Post by bhawkins » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 am

I've tried all the solutions on this thread and none of them seem to work for me. Would it be possible for Max to have a Preferences setting to simply discard the "file permission error" from iTunes? It seems to me that would be the simplest thing all around. As a user, I basically don't care what iTunes thinks about the file permissions. If iTunes complains of a problem, I'd really like for Max to ignore it and continue as if everything is ok--because it is.

This problem basically ruins Max as a solution for automatic ripping and encoding. How much of a donation would be necessary to make this feature a priority for the next minor release?

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 am

bhawkins wrote:I've tried all the solutions on this thread and none of them seem to work for me. Would it be possible for Max to have a Preferences setting to simply discard the "file permission error" from iTunes?
I wonder if this would fix it: open the Max package in the Finder, drill down into the Resources folder, open the Add to iTunes Library script, and wrap the contents of the handler in a try block:

Code: Select all

on add_file_to_itunes_library...
	try
            ... stuff that's already there
	end try
end add_file_to_itunes_library
Save and close up.

cenk

Post by cenk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:38 pm

The "delay 10" addition to the script WORKS for me... Thank you for the advice.

I guess everybody believes that since this is a known issue, the new releases should not have it but it is there for the last 3+ releases. Lets agree that this is a free application and the best one for Mac users, thus I guess we can fix it ourselves until a solution comes. If we do not pay the gentleman, we can just be thankful for the free application :)

jumpercable

Post by jumpercable » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:26 am

I tried mattn's solution, and it worked for me -- with or without the addition of the "delay 10" code as posted above by BolivarBaLues.

dfyoung

Post by dfyoung » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:20 pm

This is still an issue in Max version 0.9.1 on OSX 10.6.6. Fortunately, the suggestion from kwbrown of adding a delay - I'm doing a 5 second delay - has resolved the issue. I've gotten through about 20 CDs and no sign of the file permission error. Thanks, kwbrown!!

lovelyrita

Post by lovelyrita » Sun May 15, 2011 12:16 pm

sounddroid wrote:OK, I finally figured this out. If you simply disable "Sound Check" in the Playback preferences in iTunes, you won't get this error. You only have to disable it while you're doing a conversion with MAX - once it's done converting and importing into iTunes, you can turn it back on. Must have something to do with iTunes and MAX trying to write to the file at the same time.
Holy simple solution, Batman! That did it.
Crazy, cause I never saw this error and then suddenly yesterday, I did. Took an hour of reading through posts here before I saw this one, and BINGO.
Thank you. :D

oybobby

Post by oybobby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Not to diminish the elegance of others' solutions to this problem, but, I'm quite certain that all the solutions I've seen solve the same problem in different ways.

I believe the problem is that a process is timing out or not responding with success quickly enough. Many things can contribute to slowing down the process of adding something to the iTunes library, as many have found empirically.

Certainly the sound check feature is one. Perhaps the "iTunes compatibility" option was. And for me, I'm sure that Max/iTunes aren't happy when Time Machine (or any processor-intensive process) is running.

I also have a rather large library: over 20,000 "songs" for over 150 GBs. Perhaps there's extra overhead associated with updating such a large database.

Whatever the cause(s), adding a delay of 2-10 seconds as kwbrown has suggested has cured this minor, though annoying, problem for me.

Rock on!

Regards,
Maurice

semsinatra

Post by semsinatra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:00 pm

curiously, just opening iTunes' preferences stops the error for me

nathan_h

Post by nathan_h » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Still appears to be a problem on the itunes side. The "delay" argument doesn't solve it any longer. Just disabling the auto import (of course) solves it. But then you have to manually tell itunes about the new songs, even if they were imported into the itunes hierarchy (Mountain Lion, 8.1 patch).