File permission error? (mp3 encoding)

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
powerpc

File permission error? (mp3 encoding)

Post by powerpc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi again!

Can anyone tell me the possible cause and remedy for the following error message when MAX is encoding MP3's from CDs:

'An error occured while tagging the file "filename.mp3". iTunes got an error: File permission error.'

I have the preferences set for the MP3s to go directly into the iTunes music folder upon completed encoding, but this error happens fairly frequently so I have to monitor it constantly. It doesn't happen all the time, just about 50% of the time... Do i need to change my settings or something?

Any help is always greatly appreciated -- Thanks!

Keith

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:07 pm

I am able to reproduce this error, but not reliably so I can't really debug it. I believe it only happens on MP3s with album art.

Is this what you are seeing?

powerpc

Post by powerpc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:14 pm

No, it's actually when ripping straight from CD prior to applying album art (and with no internet connection for art to be downloaded).

I don't see any consistent pattern, but it's doing it approx. 50% of the time.

edjusted

Post by edjusted » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:55 am

For what it's worth, I get this too, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. This didn't happen before, so I can only guess that it started with later versions of iTunes and/or Mac OS X.

I get the problem on both Max 0.72b and also 0.71 with a Powerbook G4 running Mac OS X 10.4.9.

powerpc

Post by powerpc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi edjusted,

I am also using a Powerbook G4 with OSX 10.4.9 and did not have this problem before installing the newest version of iTunes (strangely enough the iTunes upgrade also messed up my most recent version of iTunesLAME).... there must be some connection.

Stereo

Post by Stereo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm seeing this a couple of times per CD, with MPEG-4 AAC ripping, on a cd with no album art. Want me to post my iTunes and Max .plists ?

kefa

Post by kefa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:13 pm

okay I get this error too. never seen it before, however I have just configured Max to get album art from Amazon, add files in to my iTunes library via a symbolic link (as well as inserting in to my normal FLAC library):

lrwxr-xr-x 1 dan dan 24 Apr 7 13:11 FLAC -> ../Squeezebox Music/FLAC
lrwxr-xr-x 1 dan dan 31 Apr 7 13:14 MP3 -> ../iTunes/iTunes Music/FLAC2MP3

I seem to get 2 different errors, this...

and this...

Like the other reports - the error is not consistent or repeatable.

I just wonder whether there is some contention somewhere between Max and iTunes. The files appear in iTunes and seem to play okay....

Any ideas?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:04 pm

The way Max adds files to iTunes is via AppleScript. If you open the Max.app package, look for "Add to iTunes Library.scpt" in the Resources folder to see how it's done. Maybe an AppleScript wizard can see if I've gone wrong in there...

PowerTowerPro

Post by PowerTowerPro » Sat May 12, 2007 9:29 pm

I get the same error and it makes this feature, for lack of a better term, useless. I have to import to a folder then drag the folder to iTunes. It is not a bad workaround but I hope a fix is on the way.

On another note Max is a great utility, thanks for making it.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 18, 2007 1:42 am

I've been trying to track this down to no avail. I'm still searching for the cause...

PowerTowerPro

Post by PowerTowerPro » Fri May 18, 2007 2:06 am

Let me know if I can help

javelina

Post by javelina » Sun May 20, 2007 6:14 am

I am also getting this error with MP3 encoding and exporting to iTunes. I am using iTunes version 7.1.1 on a Mac Mini G4 with 1G of ram. iTunes library is on an external firewire drive.

absweetmarie

Re: File permission error? (mp3 encoding)

Post by absweetmarie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:00 am

I have a G4 powerbook & I get this error as well. I get it regardless if I encode a flac file to MP3 or MP4(AAC). It doesn't matter. I also started noticing as it encodes a playlist, the deeper into the playlist it gets, the more frequent the error. I would say more than 50%. I changed my preferences so it won't go straight to itunes but unfortunately after I clicked on 'convert'. I also get this error: iTunes got an error: Parameter error. What's that? That happens less frequently but neither shows up on the log file. I noticed that some of my cd's are cut off at the end (before the song actually finishes). I'm glad I haven't deleted my flac files! On the up side, I've tried quite a few apps & I still think this works the best. Hopefully, NOT having to go directly to iTunes is a work around. I can live with that. I just hate having to keep taging files each time. Also, Max doesn't unexpectedly quit on me any more. That really sucked! I'm not on these sites a lot because i'm always busy but I really would like resolution to this so I'll try & check in more frequently. If I can help, I will (I'm a good tester. I find all the bugs!) :P

cjedj

Post by cjedj » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:31 am

Same problem here.

Converting from FLAC to mp3 V0, no album art, import to iTunes appears to be successful, but it throws this error message each time.

iMac G5. It's a PITA as I cannot walk away and leave Max to do it's job, let me know if you need anymore info.

EDIT: BTW, iTunes 7.4.2, Max 0.7.1

kdeemer

Post by kdeemer » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:35 am

Same for me. Just downloaded Max and hoped it would meet my needs, but so far, it's a non starter. message says that 'iTunes got an error. File Permission Error.' Files do seem to be converted and accessible by iTunes. Error is not on every track. But you certainly can't run it unattended, because it hangs every couple of tracks.