CD -> Flac/Wav + Cue -> Mp3s

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
daborg

CD -> Flac/Wav + Cue -> Mp3s

Post by daborg » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi,

Whenever I have a CD that's getting a bit wonky I like to rip it with paranoia to a flac and cue sheet so I have a pristine backup, and then generate mp3s from the ripped flac.

Max seems to be able to rip the CD into a flac with a cue sheet, although the cue sheet appears to be hidden in the flac. However, when I then try to get Max to generate mp3s from the flac or a wav with cue all I get is a single mp3 file, which is not what I want. On the other hand, if I drag the cue to Max I get the option to burn it to a CD.

This is great, but at this time I just want to create mp3s from the rip like I do from a CD, is this possible? Do I have to re-rip the CD again to get the mp3s?

Secondly, I'm wondering how to get the cue sheet from the generated flac file, it seems to be embedded?

Thank you for your help.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:04 pm

It's embarassing to admit, but while Max can generate FLACs with embedded cue sheets it cannot (yet) read them. So as you've discovered, this is great for archival but for converting to MP3 or other lossy formats Max leaves something to be desired.

If you want to view the embedded cue sheets, you'll need to use metaflac from the command line (part of the flac distribution).

Until FLAC cue sheet support is added for conversion, your best bet would be to create individual FLACs.

daborg

Post by daborg » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Alright, I guess I'll just live with that for now.

Cheers for a good utility.