encoding a cd

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
manaus

encoding a cd

Post by manaus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 am

I've updated to version 0.7.1, but when I encode a cd max encodes two songs togheter making the process very long and put a lot of stress to the cd driver because it try to get information from both songs ... so it goes from one song to the other and on top of everything is extremely noisy, and it looks like everything is going to explode.....Please help. I may have forgotten to run the script "delete previous preference" when I updated, but now i did it but nothing really changed. The annoying think is that if rip 1 song a time is much faster than itunes lame and the encoder should be the same.........
Please guys help me!!!!!!!!!!
thanks in advance,
love from Roma!!!!!!!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Which ripper are you using?

Not deleting the preferences shouldn't hurt anything, you will just get errors during conversion.

manaus

Post by manaus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:23 am

I Set the ripper to "BASIC RIPPER" but I'm going to change to "CD PARANOIA" lets see if anything is going to change. I'm a deejay and I need the best possible quality even between 320kbps rippers. Can anybody let me know which are the best sets for quality sake (I mean in the prefernces of MAX)? I don't mind wait longer time to achieve the best results.... Sorry for my english......
love from Roma!!!!!!
tahnks a lot for the help........
P.S. up to know i've ripped all my music with "itunes lame" latest version (alt preset insane, best possiple quality) for mac intel, but apparently it doesn't work as well as it does with the previous generation of apple computer (G4 / G5).....
sorry if this is the wrongf forum to talk about itunes lame.... in that case just don't bother answering....
have a nice day!!!!!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:08 am

If you need the best quality why not rip to AIFF or WAV? Most players that support MP3 should support one of those formats as well. I don't recommend these two formats, mainly for lack of metadata (storage space is cheap so compression to me is less of an issue), but they are commonly supported formats.

If you need the absolute best MP3 quality, 320 kbps constant bitrate is the best you can achieve using LAME.

Why are you ripping with Max and encoding with iTunes-LAME? Max can rip and encode using LAME directly, and send the files to iTunes.

manaus

Post by manaus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:41 pm

That's what I'm doing... I do everything with max, sorry if i've not been clear about it...(And of course I set everything to get a 320 kbps file constant bitrate). What i'm wondering is if there's any difference between for instance basic ripper an cdparanoia, is it the latest any better? Thanks a lot for the support..... The more I use max the the best results..... I don't do wav ripping because i have 200 giga of mp3 files on an external hard disk. if I had ripped them in wav I would go to clubs with 6 or seven external hard disk............(and that's a bit to many for any dj booth) On top of that honestly I bet any amount of money that people won't recognize if I'm spinning a mp3 320 kbps or a wav file.....
"We're gonna have a funk good time" ••••••••••••

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:19 pm

It depends on the CD. If the CDs are flawless, pristine new CDs, you can use basic ripper or comparison ripper. If the CDs are not flawless, you better use paranoia error correction.

I always use paranoia ripper only. If there are no errors, the result will be identical to the basic ripper and in most cases will be identical to comparison ripper. If there are errors, they will be corrected in so far as possible.

manaus

Post by manaus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm

OK!!!!!! Thanks a lot 4 the help!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :P :mrgreen: :lol: