building the best backup files

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
craniotomy

building the best backup files

Post by craniotomy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:00 pm

I am new at all of this.

I am wanting to build the best back-up files that I can on all of my CD's. I'm under the impression that using the WAVE format is the most true copy of musical discs. Max has too many options for me as I am a beginner. I need some opinions on what settings to use to build this massive library. I have plenty of storage space, and we all know size does not matter.

Just FYI, I tried using disk images but some disks must have readable content in the overburn area because when I got to re-burn these disks the blank CDs are too small. I wish I could make exact copies of my disks but I have pretty much given up on that idea as I don't think it's do-able.

Thanks,
Matt

sbb

Post by sbb » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:31 pm

wave (.wav) and aiff is almost the same thing... on a mac it makes more sense to me to use aiff as it is the traditional default format for a raw copy of a CD data...

If I would be to make a backup of my audio CDs (which does not make sense to me consideting the hundreds of CDs I have (maybe a thousand now), I'd use Apple Lossless or FLAC...

craniotomy

best back up settings???

Post by craniotomy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:06 am

Thanks for the advise. I have learned a lot about these things in the past few days. What I still do not understand is this.

I've decided to build my back-up library with AIFF files. I can encode them from I tunes, but Max offers more options into how to encode them. Question is, which setting is best, are any too good- meaning they can actually degrade the sound?? 8 bits, 16bits, 32 bits, signed, unsigned, gsm, u law, A law, 64 bit float, etc? Any advice on what settings to use would be helpful.

Thanks,
Matt

sbb

Post by sbb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:46 pm

good question... I tried to figure out myself (by comparing aif files imported with itunes) but I did not spend enough time to "recreate" an equivalent setting for core-audio... will see this week-end

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:46 pm

There is a similar topic to this one.

I would recommend 16-bit integer AIFF files, if you are set on using AIFF. But I would recommend using a format such as FLAC, that is lossless but supports metadata, over AIFF.

drmore2u

Post by drmore2u » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:30 pm

Well, a best backup of a CD is to draw the files from the CD to the desktop of your Mac. This will create files in 16 bit 44.100 Hz aiff format, exact data copies of the CD format. But you can copy the CD in Toast by making an image of it and then burn it, that's the same. Otherwise, why not FLAC as sbooth above.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:28 am

drmore2u wrote:Well, a best backup of a CD is to draw the files from the CD to the desktop of your Mac. This will create files in 16 bit 44.100 Hz aiff format, exact data copies of the CD format.
I'm not sure this is 100% correct- I haven't delved into cddafs support in the kernel, but I don't believe any error correction is done when you simply drag files from the CD to your desktop. The files will be 44.1 kHz 16 bit AIFF, but as far as reading the CD sectors goes, cddafs most likely is not performing any error correction.