Lost Functionality?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
koschate

Lost Functionality?

Post by koschate » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:30 am

I'm sure I remember in 0.6.1 being able to choose the output formats explicitly when I used menu item Encode Selected Tracks, as opposed to the Encode icon, which would use whatever formats had been checked off in the preferences. The 0.7.x releases don't seem to do this.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or has this functionality gone away? If it has gone, I'd really like it back!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 am

No, you're right, the option was called "Custom encode..." and it isn't in the 0.7.x release series.

I have thrown around the idea of adding an "Output Formats Inspector" window, which would basically be the bottom half of the convert files window removed to its own utility window. This way, the output formats would be equally easy to change for ripping as for conversion.

koschate

Post by koschate » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:02 am

Well, it's good to know my memory isn't that far gone! Let me explain what I'm after, and perhaps we can come up with an appropriate way to handle it.

My needs consist of two scenarios primarily. First, if I purchase a new music CD, I want to rip it to FLACs for my SlimServer, and high-quality MP3s for my portable player. I also like to get the cover art.

Second, when I get audio books on CD, I need to rip them to MP3s, but I'll usually encode at a fairly low rate and in mono. I also don't bother with FLACs.

If I could start an instance of Max with the appropriate defaults for each scenario, I'd be fine.