Where do the files go?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
dremis

Where do the files go?

Post by dremis » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 am

I am ripping my cd collection from a MacBook to an Infrant Ready NAS over myy wireless network. If I mount the volume (called music) on my Infrant prior to ripping, everything works great.

But if I forget to mount the volume, and then rip a CD, Max seems to default by assigningg a destination called workgroup; infrant-10 (where each time I make this mistake it adds a new number, so I've no had 10 sessions of ripping where I''ve forgotten to mount). I know, I should remember to do this by now!

These files seem to be saved somewhere, because if I go to the output tab of Max preferences, I can click on that destination (say, workgroup;infrant-6) and see all the cd's and songs that were ripped.

The problem is other than using Max preferences, I can't find where these files are stored using finder. If I search my computer or network for one of these titles, nothing comes up.

I spent a lot of time with Infrant support to try to figure this out, but then we turned off the Infrant and the files were still visible, so they decided it was not an Infrant issue.

Any ideas how to access these files? I don't mind re-ripping, but if they are taking up space on my computer somewhere, I'd like to delete them

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:09 pm

The only thing I thought of would be to open the preferences, and in the output tab select the output directory popup button, and then select the current setting (ie, if you have the output directory set to Music, select the popup button and then click on Music). This should pop open a Finder window for the folder, which you could use to deduce where the files could be.

dremis

Post by dremis » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I tried that without success. It is as if they are stuck in the ether somewhere. I can find them only with Tag or with the method you described, but not with finder, and I can't seem to find where they are located. They are listed in a directory called "Volumes" which doesn't SEEM to be on my hard drive, but then doesn't seem to be on the Infrant NAS either. If you think of any other suggestions, it would be much appreciated. (Also, I'd be happy to send a screen shot of what it looks like if it would be helpful.)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:12 am

Try opening up Terminal and typing

Code: Select all

cd /Volumes
and then

ls -la
and see what you come up with. Volumes is something of the mother of all mount points. There could be something weird hanging around in there.

If you'd rather not use Terminal open a browser in Finder and type Command-Shift-G and then enter

/Volumes
in the sheet.

dremis

Post by dremis » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:49 pm

I entered as you suggested in Terminal, and sure enough, all of those Workgroup;infrant-# volumes were visible, but I still do not know how to access them. I would be happy to simply delete them to be sure they are not taking up space. Can that be done in Terminal easily or safely, or can I use Terminal to help me figure out where exactly they are?

The line looks something like this.......
drwxr-xr-x 3 darem admin 102 Jan 31 19:04 WORKGROUP;INFRANT-9

chronic

Post by chronic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:25 am

In the finder click command/shift/g then type "/Volumes" (without the quotes) in the window that opens up. That should take you straight to the Volumes directory and allow you to access anything that's in there.

dremis

Thanks!

Post by dremis » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:35 pm

That worked perfectly, thanks so much. I could access, and therefore delete, all these files. Were they taking up space on the hard drive?