Save into Artist/Album folders or Compilations folder?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
metaclam

Save into Artist/Album folders or Compilations folder?

Post by metaclam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:27 am

I see you can specify a target folder.

Could an option be included to save into folder by Artist and Album, or in the case of multiple artists, save into a Compilations folder then by Album, as iTunes does? (In that case the compilation tag should also be set).

thanks.

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:13 pm

To have Max output files into a particular folder structure, you can set a custom file naming format that automatically create folders. In Max's Output preferences, there's a Custom File naming box. Select the "Specify file names for output" checkbox, then, in the "File naming format" text box, use the buttons beneath it to set your folder structure. For example, the setting {discArtist}/{discTitle}/{trackTitle} will put your file into a folder with the same name as the album title, and that will be put into a folder with the same name as the artist.

As for a custom folder name for compilations, Max doesn't have that feature. You can request it here

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Save into Artist/Album folders or Compilations folder?

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:15 am

metaclam wrote:I see you can specify a target folder.

Could an option be included to save into folder by Artist and Album, or in the case of multiple artists, save into a Compilations folder then by Album, as iTunes does? (In that case the compilation tag should also be set).

thanks.
The default behavior for file naming should mimic iTunes- if the compilation tag is set it should create the "Compilations" folder with subdirectories for each album.

As Shane says, if you are using a custom naming format the compilations folder is out the window.

If you uncheck "Specify file names for output" in the output preferences, do you see the Compilations folder?

metaclam

Post by metaclam » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:53 pm

I'm a little confused.

right now I do have "Specify file names for output" checked, and a custom file naming as:

{trackNumber}. {trackTitle}

Ideally what I want is to mirror iTunes, that is file names as above, sorted into artist & album folders, except for compilations, with album folders in the Compilations folder.

However, what is odd about my setup is that the Location is not the standard (boot volume) location, it's on an external drive.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:56 am

metaclam wrote:I'm a little confused.

right now I do have "Specify file names for output" checked, and a custom file naming as:

{trackNumber}. {trackTitle}

Ideally what I want is to mirror iTunes, that is file names as above, sorted into artist & album folders, except for compilations, with album folders in the Compilations folder.

However, what is odd about my setup is that the Location is not the standard (boot volume) location, it's on an external drive.
To get this behavior, uncheck the "Specify file names for output" checkbox, and set the output directory to the folder you want to hold all your music (your external drive). Max will then save all the files using iTunes-style naming into that folder.