Resolved:Errors when decoding Flac files with artwork

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Post Reply
zuleskid
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Resolved:Errors when decoding Flac files with artwork

Post by zuleskid » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 am

I am getting Errors while decoding FLACS encoded with Max v7.

While decoding Flacs with embeded artwork I get the following errors

0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
1:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_BAD_HEADER


If I do not save artwork the files decode fine.

It appears that the files both files play fine, only when I decode them do I run into errors.

Anyone run into this?

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:41 am

I once saw something similar to this on my system, and it was because I had the Xiph QuickTime components installed.

Do you happen to have those on your system?

zuleskid
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Post by zuleskid » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:22 am

It seems I did have the XiphQt components as well as Perian. I have removed them but get the same errors while decoding files with artwork.

ajs
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Errors when decoding Flac files with artwork from Max 7

Post by ajs » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:42 pm

zuleskid wrote:I am getting Errors while decoding FLACS encoded with Max v7.
...
Anyone run into this?
I can confirm this. With album art, the FLAC files are corrupt. Without it, they're fine. My error message is slightly different, but flac 1.1.1 (fink), flac 1.1.2 (Ubuntu/amd64) and flac 1.1.3 (Ubuntu/amd64) all refuse to deal with the files. metaflac works fine, but flac -d or -t fails.

The files are encoded with Max 7 via the internal FLAC encoder.

I do have XiphQt components installed. That shouldn't really be interferring with the internal Flac codec though, should it?

- Andrew

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Errors when decoding Flac files with artwork from Max 7

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:46 pm

ajs wrote:I do have XiphQt components installed. That shouldn't really be interferring with the internal Flac codec though, should it?
No, it shouldn't- I misunderstood the original post. I thought the trouble was with Max's handling of FLAC files with artwork, not with other applications incorrectly handling Max-generated FLACs.

I will have to play around and see if flac 1.1.3 works with Max-generated FLACSs, and go from there.

ajs
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Errors when decoding Flac files with artwork from Max 7

Post by ajs » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:42 am

sbooth wrote:I will have to play around and see if flac 1.1.3 works with Max-generated FLACSs, and go from there.
While you're at it, I've also noticed that even when the FLAC files are playable, the MD5 hash recorded in the header is incorrect. This I've verified with the same versions of flac that I mentioned in an earlier post.

To check if the hash is invalid, I use:

Code: Select all

% flac -t file.flac
This inevitably yields something like:

Code: Select all

file.flac: WARNING, MD5 signature mismatch
The files still sound fine, and with flac 1.1.3 it's easy to resolve because the command-line encoder can now take FLAC files as input. I normally do:

Code: Select all

% mkdir tmp && flac --verify --best --output-prefix=tmp/ *.flac && mv tmp/*.flac . && rmdir tmp
- Andrew

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:29 pm

I've fixed the album art issue and MD5 issue in r1160.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests