LAME versions and presets

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
metaclam

LAME versions and presets

Post by metaclam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:22 am

Hi,

I like the simplicity of Max, thanks.

However, what are the correspondences between familiar LAME settings, such as:

--preset standard
--preset extreme

etc?

I think "transparent" is preset standard but I'm not sure.

Also, how do you check what version / install of LAME is being used, and can that be changed?

thanks.

shanecavanaugh

Re: LAME versions and presets

Post by shanecavanaugh » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:59 pm

There aren't directly corresponding settings to the lame presets, but, and I'm not exactly sure, but --preset-extreme probably corresponds to using a Quality encoder target, a high engine quality, 100 as the quality setting, and VBR mode of standard. --preset-standard probably corresponds to Max's Transparent encoder encoder quality preset.

As for which lame version Max uses, that can be found in the Components menu item under the Max application menu. The version cannot be changed.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:25 am

metaclam wrote:Hi,

I like the simplicity of Max, thanks.

However, what are the correspondences between familiar LAME settings, such as:

--preset standard
--preset extreme

etc?

I think "transparent" is preset standard but I'm not sure.

Also, how do you check what version / install of LAME is being used, and can that be changed?

thanks.
Transparent corresponds to "-V 2" on the command line which indeed corresponds to "--preset-standard" (most likely using the "new" VBR mode unless you specifically enable the "old" VBR mode). In Max, this would mean setting the VBR quality slider to 80 and VBR mode to Fast (for "new" VBR) with Quality as the target.

"--preset-extreme" corresponds to "-V 0" (again most likely using the new VBR mode unless the old is explicitly enabled). In Max this would mean setting the VBR quality slider to 100 with Quality as the target.

"--preset-insane" corresponds to the "Best" option in the MP3 preferences, which is 320 kbps CBR. In Max, set the Target to Bitrate, 320, and check the "Restrict encoder to constant bitrate" checkbox.

Hope this clarifies things!

metaclam

Post by metaclam » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:14 pm

That's helpful, thanks. What about the LAME version? I have the latest LAME beta installed in /usr/bin/.

chicken

Post by chicken » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 am

sbooth wrote:"--preset-extreme" corresponds to "-V 0" (again most likely using the new VBR mode unless the old is explicitly enabled). In Max this would mean setting the VBR quality slider to 100 with Quality as the target.
hi there =)

does that also include setting VBR mode to Fast?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:03 am

More information in this thread: http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=585