Resolved:.ape conversion to mp3 doesn't work anymore

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Post Reply
mdewakanton
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 pm

Resolved:.ape conversion to mp3 doesn't work anymore

Post by mdewakanton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Received a friend's heads-up and realized that .ape conversion to mp3 doesn't work anymore in v. 0.7.

With v. 0.6.1 I used to convert the .ape to a single long mp3 and then split it with CueSplitter: everything ran great. Now I get a mp3 which contains only rustle (same after splitting it up).

I noticed that now the long mp3 resulting from conversion is correctly tagged, while with v. 0.6.1 it was "unknown", but you can't hear anything but rustling... :(

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Does this occur with all APE files or only long ones?

Which architecture are you using?

mdewakanton
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 pm

Post by mdewakanton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:16 pm

I tried with just one .ape file (322 MB, some 50 minutes or so). The same file was converted perfectly by v. 0.6.1. Don't know how long it was my friend's one, I can ask.

I'm using the version I downloaded from the main site (sorry, dumb enough not to know exactly what you mean by "architecture"...).

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Are you on an Intel or PPC Mac?

Also, can you convert the APE file to another format, for instance FLAC or Apple Lossless?

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:05 pm

I've figured out the problem. During the change to in-memory decoding I overlooked the byte order for APE files.

I've posted the fix in the unstable build r1143. Can you verify that it works for you before I release a new version?

mdewakanton
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 pm

Post by mdewakanton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Certainly. I'm downloading and then I'll try and let you know. It takes almost 1 hour to convert that .ape on my machine (I'm on a iBook G4 1 GHz).

Thanks a lot :D

mdewakanton
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 pm

Post by mdewakanton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:28 pm

It worked fine, both for me and my friend (his .ape was 480 MB and he's on PPC too). I'm listening to converted mp3s with Play :D

I just noticed another thing: the first time (when it didn't work), I'm pretty sure that in the File Conversion window I chose File > Open and could select the .ape file. With build r1143 I can select only the .cue file this way, while the .ape is greyed). I can add the .ape clicking on the + button. Hope this may help.

Thanks again.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests