mp3 tag encoding

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Sithgunner

mp3 tag encoding

Post by Sithgunner » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:24 am

hi.

Max encodes the tag just fine on mp3 and in iTunes, multibyte characters look tagged just fine, but I was wondering what the encoding is used when tagging mp3 files in Max.

I tried to tag an mp3 manually using id3v2 (http://id3v2.sf.net/ - using id3lib) with utf8 but iTunes doesn't like it and I have to use 'Convert ID3 Tag' option in iTunes to fix that.

I also tried to extract the id3 tag out of mp3 tagged by Max but I couldn't figure out which encoding was used...

Maurits

Re: mp3 tag encoding

Post by Maurits » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:59 pm

Sithgunner wrote:
I tried to tag an mp3 manually using id3v2 (http://id3v2.sf.net/ - using id3lib) with utf8 but iTunes doesn't like it and I have to use 'Convert ID3 Tag' option in iTunes to fix that.
Just curious, what is it that iTunes doesn't like?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:49 am

Max uses UTF-8 (via TagLib) to write ID3v2 tags to MP3 files. I'm not sure why you can't set UTF-8 manually.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:32 am

Yeah, that's why I'm confused... I tag the id3 as utf8, load the songs in iTunes, hmm, all garbage chars.

This is getting a little deep for anyone not using other char than ascii but, in Windows, Japanese letters are encoded as SJIS, and I tag the mp3 files as SJIS encoding, and I use 'Convert ID3 Tags' option in iTunes on Mac and they start showing up fine, which I think is for Windows compatibility.

But when I tag them as utf8, no matter what option I use on 'Convert ID3 Tags' in iTunes, they never show up fine anymore...

Also, when I extract the tags out of mp3 tagged by Max (which shows up just fine in iTunes right from start) via id3v2 command and save it as a file, I can't figure out which encoding that it is saved as...

weird... I must be mistaking on something else perhaps.
could be id3v2 being wrong... might give taglib a try.

Sry, this is prolly more like my personal problem now that I know Max encodes them as simply utf8.

I HATE encoding issues... they show up just about everywhere to make our lives harder... :cry:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:51 am

Sithgunner wrote:I HATE encoding issues... they show up just about everywhere to make our lives harder... :cry:
It's ironic that Unicode was created to alleviate these headaches!

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am

Going off the rails but,
its not the unicode's fault and unicode certainly does help. it's because just for Japanese, we have like 3 different encoding methods, which is as silly as it sounds, SJIS in Windows, JIS in email content, EUC in Unix and unicode in Linux and Mac and u have to first guess which encoding is used... and turn it into the right encoding that the outputted device is expecting... :lol: (<- no this should be a cry icon instead...) so, all becoming utf8 is a dream for us when none of the english speakers dont even have a problem about.

but mac having utf-8-mac is really a big problem, because many programming languages have no native encode conversion routine for such encoding... the only way to turn utf-8-mac to normal utf-8 is to use iconv that comes with the mac itself running it as an external process...

If everyone just agrees to use unicode (i mean, MS... specifically...) and many of the app developers feel the need to make apps unicode compatible (yes, there are many apps that ignore unicode or multibyte, textmate, a famous text editor for mac, is one good example), then we (whoever that use char outside ascii, especially cjk[chinese, korean, japanese] which doesnt even use ascii chars) would feel so good...

i could talk about these kind of problems throughout many OS for about an hour :lol: , but i'll stop.

i was so glad when u fixed the flac tagging encode problem from 0.6.1 :wink:

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Sithgunner wrote:Going off the rails but,
its not the unicode's fault and unicode certainly does help. it's because just for Japanese, we have like 3 different encoding methods, which is as silly as it sounds, SJIS in Windows, JIS in email content, EUC in Unix and unicode in Linux and Mac and u have to first guess which encoding is used... and turn it into the right encoding that the outputted device is expecting...
Goodness, what a headache! I always suspected that good Japanese language support was probably "the point" of Gyazmail. I tried it once and there were a quite a few dialogs in the preferences that seemed to have to do with that. People often say they don't see the point of that email client - since it seems not to do anything Mail.app doesn't and even lacks a few features. (It didn't have IMAP support till just a few days ago.) But perhaps it offers something more they can't get elsewhere to Japanese speakers?

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Yeah sure... I'm half given up on having all the app I use to behave properly with our languages...

You'd be surprised about how Winamp can't even today properly handle everything fine... I can't select the font I want to use, fonts are going beyond the display area, etc... Otoh, foobar2000 is good about those things, using pure Windows components I assume to handle characters.

And vim (multi platform text editor supposedly for programmers)... it seems they don't give much thought about multibyte, but just keep it as is after decades of history with its development... :roll: And textmate, but what good is a text editor when you can't type your own language...

The thing is, many app developers don't care about problems they don't encounter... so, unless we send patches or keep making language packs for the app, many things are left unfixed...

"Mail.app" works just fine for Japanese though, MS or Apple or these big companies at least make sure they work on their platform, of course there can be many cross platform compatibility problems.

On a more related note, Windows and iPod has different encoding requirement, so I have to give up letting either of it to read the tags... Perhaps, Windows iTunes might make it compatible, but who knows...

Although I feel like simply switching to OS X when all my application requirements are met on OS X, since OS X is more leaned toward UTF8 (not to mention feels 'better') compared to Windows yet sticking with a single encoding in 21st century...

And yes, we still have emails/web pages sometimes reaching to people unreadable due to wrongly crafted encoding :lol:, not to mention everything becomes impossible when manipulating file names under console shells... (can't even "cd" to it... can't even read dir names :lol:, unless you have well configured server and client side) sounds as if world is falling but we're still living under hell fire 8)

Sorry for rambling, but it could've been a good chance to know such problems u'd never see (at least for English users, and silently trying to pressure the dev to keep characters working in utf8 in every part happily :) )