AAC ADTS Files not importing into iTunes

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
vrsamurai

AAC ADTS Files not importing into iTunes

Post by vrsamurai » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Has anyone had any problems with AAC ADTS files made in Max-0.6.1 importing into iTunes? I get an error message stating the file was not exported correctly when I attempt to import the file into iTunes.

Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:57 am

May I enquire why you chose AAC ADTS instead of MPEG-4 Audio (AAC)?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:18 pm

"vrsamurai" must of course answer for himself, but I noticed on more occasions that people are confused about which encoding format to choose when they want to encode to AAC or Apple Lossless.

Nowhere in the encoder list one can find "AAC" or "Apple Lossless".

This is a interface problem. Many users do not know that you should choose "MPEG-4 audio" if you want to encode to "FLAC" or to "Apple Lossless". "FLAC" and "Apple Lossless" should be in the list as such explicitly.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:09 pm

I understand where you are coming from on this. The interface is that way because of the way you access the available output formats in Core Audio. It is organized hierarchichally, with the top level indicating the container format and the next level indicating the data format. It all makes sense from a programming point of view, but as you point out, it isn't terribly friendly from an interface perspective.

What would be a more intuitive interface? Would it be enough to have an entry for MPEG-4 Audio (AAC) in the list?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:24 pm

sbooth wrote:What would be a more intuitive interface? Would it be enough to have an entry for MPEG-4 Audio (AAC) in the list?
That would certainly help.

The existing entries could be renamed:
MPEG-4 (AAC / Apple LossLess)
MPEG-4 (MP4)

(I am not sure mp4 should be called AAC. AAC uses m4a and m4p extensions, m4p being copy protected. MP4 is the MPEG-4 multimedia format.)

Isn't it possible to make three entries, dividing the first one into two separate entries:

MPEG-4 AAC (m4a)
MPEG-4 Apple LossLess
MPEG-4 MP4

That would really be much more user friendly.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:05 am

This makes so much more sense to me.

Just today I was testing the latest release, after not using Max for quite a very long while. I trashed prefs and so had to reset output. Damned if I wasn't positive of just which WAV I wanted to come out. I did get lucky, but something along the lines of "this is what you want if what you want is what folks usually are referring to when they say 'WAV'" would have made it easier.

vrsamurai

Thank you for the clarification

Post by vrsamurai » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:00 am

I chose AAC ADTS out of ignorance. I am new to Max and wanted to create AAC files. I did not realize that there were mutliple types of AAC file formats.

The discussion has been very helpful and I believe that RonaldPRs suggestion would resolve the confusion.

Thanks!

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Yes, renaming them would make sense. Or use preconfigured encoders.

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:05 pm

I'd written a nice long post, but it got eaten by the internet trolls...
Anyway, what I wanted to suggest was doing something like the list view in the finder, with four folders named Lossy, Lossless, Uncompressed and Specialty:

Lossy
- AAC
- MP3
- Ogg
Lossless
- Apple Lossless
- FLAC
Uncompressed
- AIFF
- WAV (Microsoft)
Specialty
- AAC ADTS
- MPEG-4 (.mp4)
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Oooh, I like separating out the specialty. Of course there's gotta be agreement on which are special.