temp files and crash + musicbrainz

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Sithgunner

temp files and crash + musicbrainz

Post by Sithgunner » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:39 am

hi

I was just ripping about 30 CD and it was going fine... until... when I finished replacing 30 CD and it kept on encoding about 300 songs in the queue and... max crashed...

I relaunched app and the encoding queue is simply empty. does this mean I have to re-rip every cd again?

i tried to spot the temporary ripped cd data but in the max options it only says temp dir as 'Default' which I have no idea where it is, but from the look of the disk space on the hard drive it is taking some good amount of space without a way to reach them, or even better start encoding against those temporary stuck files.

it would be really nice if i can continue instead of re-rip them all again...

on another note, the musicbrainz data is simply too dumb to be too useful, on the 30cd I ripped, I had like only half of the CD to correctly spot the right cd data and the rest simply shows some other cd or empty. FreeDB did over 90% time of the lookup properly. I was hoping you could make it to switch back and forth between those 2. freedb isn't just dead is it?

i need quick response because i need to return the cd in about less than 20 hours... if i cant continue it, i'll just re-rip them.

Mike1

Re: temp files and crash + musicbrainz

Post by Mike1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:25 am

Sithgunner wrote:i tried to spot the temporary ripped cd data but in the max options it only says temp dir as 'Default' which I have no idea where it is, but from the look of the disk space on the hard drive it is taking some good amount of space without a way to reach them, or even better start encoding against those temporary stuck files.
Sometimes on OS X "recovered" files turn up in the Trash. They end up there, because, as Apple says, "If an application quits unexpectedly, the temporary files may not get deleted by the application".

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... h2267.html

Now, I suppose if you were to reboot OS X would move these temporary files to the Trash. Then you'd only have to drag them out of there.

Alternatively, I guess you could look for the files on the hard drive. I think the default location for temporary files varies on different versions of OS X. Moreover, you have the problem that the Finder does not, by default, show many of the directories actually present on the hard drive. However, you can toggle visibility for said directories on and off using a command-line switch or, if you prefer a GUI, with TinkerTool:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

Those are my suggestions - either reboot and let OS X move the temporary files to the Trash, or browse for them in Finder after checking "Show hidden and system files" in TinkerTool.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:27 am

ok...I started ripping them all again, in case no one answers till I have to return them... but..., for now , 2 times, Max once again crashes and I can't seriously rip my cd anymore.

I was ripping some cd which had 2 or 3 songs each, I kept popping in and out those cd, maybe about 3 cd were done and the encoder keeps encoding and then Max crashes... and it did it again the next try at about when the same amount of CD were ripped, all clearing up the encode queue...

These versions are unusable at current state... but I don't really want to go back to last version as flac tagging for Japanese names all get garbage letters, the newer versions fixed the problem and I want to thank about that, but ... the main purpose is not functioning too well :?

Hope something gets fixed soon about this.

[Edit - Didn't see the reply]
Ok, thanks for suggestion. I rebooted and found the files ended up in trash... of about 10gb sitting in there, but as long as I can't resume encoding with these, these are no use, but just waiting to be permanently deleted. Also, I don't know if any of them are half ripped with my next 2 tries of ripping and files are in right state or not... so I'd rather do them all again, but that is ... IF max won't crash anymore... might try 0.6.1 and make a tag script on my own to fix tagging

[Edit - fixed spell...]
Last edited by Sithgunner on Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:38 am

ok, forgot to write anything about my environment :roll:

Mac Mini PowerPC 10.4.8 (with all the rest of updates up to date)
Max r1120 <- this was the first try
Optical drive is the mini's built in one.

then I saw a new release thread on the dev forum and replaced the binary hoping for a fix, but the next 2 tries also crashed with r1121.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:19 pm

I've just posted r1126, which hopefully will fix the crashes. I found a memory leak that I think was causing the issues...