submitting info to freeDB is failing.

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
phule

submitting info to freeDB is failing.

Post by phule » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:52 pm

:?: Anyone know why when I try submit disk information to freeDB I get the
error message "write failed to freeDB" With the exception of my email
address, the freeDB preferences are set to their defaults. The preferrd
server is freedb.freedb.org and it's using port 8880 with the CDDBP. I'm using Max 0.5.5 and my computer is using OS X 10.4.5 (8H14).
Bob

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:58 pm

Try using HTTP and port 80.

bsisco

Submitting to freeDB

Post by bsisco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I was having the same problem. I changed the port to 80 and now no 'failed' messages. However, I have no confirmation that it was submitted successfully. After clicking the submit buttton, there should be some type of 'data submitted successfully' message. When I click 'Query FreeDB', Max doesn't find any info on the disc. What's up with this?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Submitting to freeDB

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:39 pm

bsisco wrote:I was having the same problem. I changed the port to 80 and now no 'failed' messages. However, I have no confirmation that it was submitted successfully. After clicking the submit buttton, there should be some type of 'data submitted successfully' message. When I click 'Query FreeDB', Max doesn't find any info on the disc. What's up with this?
I don't have much FreeDB experience so I don't know how long it typically takes for submitted data to show up; I assume that it is reviewed by a moderator before it is publicly available.

It would be a good idea to have a 'successful submit' message- I will add this in the next version.

bsisco

Post by bsisco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:02 pm

OK

Thanks.

skoraw

Post by skoraw » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi,

I'm using max 0.5.6 on OS X 10.4.6 and I'm having the same problem as described by the original post. I did switch the freedb server to an http server on port 80 and I still ended up with a 'write failed' error.

Is it perhaps the only information I edited was in the comments section ? Could it possibly be something with my firewall ?

regards,
skora.

phule

Post by phule » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:58 pm

skoraw wrote:Hi,

I'm using max 0.5.6 on OS X 10.4.6 and I'm having the same problem as described by the original post. I did switch the freedb server to an http server on port 80 and I still ended up with a 'write failed' error.

Is it perhaps the only information I edited was in the comments section ? Could it possibly be something with my firewall ?

regards,
skora.
I don't think it's the firewall as I've got my firewall turned-on and they're getting my submissions okay. Oh, I'm using OS X 10.4.6.

But most of my submissions are rejected because they contain UTF-8 (Unicode) letters. So, don't include any letters that have diacritical marks (such as the umlat or the tilde over the letter n) when you finally get it working. I also switched the freedb server to an http server on port 80 and that's when it started working for me. The server is freedb.freedb.org
Bob

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Interesting- I didn't know that FreeDB only accepted ASCII.

This is probably a bug in my code. I will look into the FreeDB spec and change everything to use ASCII vs. UTF-8 for FreeDB submissions if necessary.

skoraw

Post by skoraw » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:16 pm

sbooth and phule,
After reading your both posts, I changed the comments section so that unicode characters were no longer there.
However, that did not change the result. :(

Thanks for your prompt responses !

regards,
skora.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 pm

I am not having a submit problem, I am having a query problem with FreeDB.

I always use the default of CDDBP, Port 8880 and did not have a problem until today. Happened with 2 different CDs.
Changed to HTTP, Port 80 and it worked.

I found this on the FreeDB website:
In the past few days we did some analysis, trying to find out why our web-based search causes so much traffic. We were not really surprised to find massive abuse. Basically there are two forms of abuse:
1) Sites, which use our web-based search (stealing our bandwidth) ...
2) Applications which allow querying via the web-based search. While we tolerate this to a certain extend, there are some clients, which fetch not only the search results, but also all entries listed in the results (which can be more than 100 per query) automatically. We will try to find those apps and ask the authors to change that behaviour.

If this abuse continues, we will no longer be able to provide the web-based search.
To fight such abuse and save the web-based search we need YOUR help. If you're aware of an abusive web-site "stealing" our search results or a client, which fetches all search-results at once without user interaction, please let us know!
Could this be a problem?

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com