FLAC files not decoding correctly

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
kissbang

FLAC files not decoding correctly

Post by kissbang » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 am

Hello. I am having a problem converting files from FLAC to ALAC on my Intel iMac. The converted files are just producing a white noise once completed. I have tested converting from mp3 to ALAC and this works no problem.

Is there a problem with the FLAC decoder on Intel iMacs or as a Mac newbie am I being stupid?!?

Thanks
Kissbang

Herb

Having same problem but on G4 Powerbook

Post by Herb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi there,

I got a bunch of white noise trying to convert FLAC files to ALAC on files that were 24 bit. Not one worked, from different sources I might add.

I can convert 16 bit and they play fine on my machine, although I have to reconvert them in iTunes to ALAC again for any other machines on the network to be able to play them. They can see them, but the tracks just will not play. The bit rates say "unknown". Reconverting the ALAC in iTunes gives bit rates and makes the files useable on the other machines.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Herb

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: FLAC files not decoding correctly

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:56 am

kissbang wrote:Hello. I am having a problem converting files from FLAC to ALAC on my Intel iMac. The converted files are just producing a white noise once completed. I have tested converting from mp3 to ALAC and this works no problem.

Is there a problem with the FLAC decoder on Intel iMacs or as a Mac newbie am I being stupid?!?

Thanks
Kissbang
You're not stupid- there was a problem with the way Max was processing audio that ended up byte-swapping certain formats on Intel Macs.

I have fixed the problem, but haven't released a new version incorporating the fixes yet. If you are inclined you can download the nightly snapshot and build it yourself, or I could send you a beta verison if you'd like- just e-mail me.