Cannot get Max to start

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
jslager

Cannot get Max to start

Post by jslager » Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello, I downloaded Max today but I cannot get it to start. I searched this forum and found a thread on this topic and saw the solution of setting Max to executable but that is not my problem since it is executable: -rwxr-xr-x 1 jimslager staff 2082640 Aug 29 2009 Max

I downloaded Max-0-1.9.1.tar.bz2 and clicked it and it built a Max-0.9.1 directory in my Downloads folder. I double clicked Max.app and nothing opens. I have the Max icon in my dock. Clicking that doesn't open anything either. I restarted my computer and redid everything but got the same result.

I have an iMax running 10.7.3

Please help.

RonaldPR

Re: Cannot get Max to start

Post by RonaldPR » Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 am

Max does not open a window when launched. Did you look at left side of the menu bar, doesn't it change to a Max menu bar?

jslager

Post by jslager » Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Yes, it does! I don't know why I didn't notice it. Feeling really dumb now.

Thanks

pixchips

Post by pixchips » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah - tell me about it - just had same "problem" ... glad somebody else asked first :-)

jslager

Post by jslager » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Hey, Pix. Glad I could save you from feeling dumb! The world is a very slightly better place due to it.

ripleynutz

Post by ripleynutz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 am

I'm feeling dumb because I can't get max to work even after reading the thread. I want to play flac files in itunes. I can't find any instructions. Double clicking isn't working. I'm lost.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:01 pm

I assume you want to convert flac files into a format that iTunes can play.

- When you launch Max there will be no initial Max window. When Max runs in front, you can see the Max related menus in the menu bar.

- You can choose and configure the target encoding format and target file formats in Max Preferences. (As in all Mac applications: Max application menu > Preferences.)

- You can choose the files to convert choosing "Convert Files..." from the File menu or by dragging the files you want to convert onto Max's icon.

And. yes, there are no instructions and there is no manual.

RinTinTiger

Post by RinTinTiger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:43 am

Hi,

I downloaded and unzipped the Max file. I placed the file Max 0.9.1 source in my Applications folder, but I cannot figure out how to launch Max. I cannot locate Max.app which I have seen mentioned on some other forum posts. The Max icon is only an image file that opens in preview. Please help. I know I must be missing something here...