Lost @ Re-boot

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
dsp

Lost @ Re-boot

Post by dsp » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Hmmm. Brand new to Max, but in reviewing the threads quickly, didn't see this issue.

For me, everything works fine until I turn offthe machine. Upon reboot, Max will open, but won't start any re-coding jobs (e.g., wav to aiff) no matter how many times I request it to do so. The only thing I've found to get it working again is to change my preferences to "Dynamically show and hide windows". Once doing so, I can then remove the undersired preference and go about using the tool as I want.

BTW, I've also tried deleting my preferences and starting over, but to no avail.

A bug or my error?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:18 am

Which version of Max are you using?

dsp

Post by dsp » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:23 am

Using version 0.6.1 running on a 2.66GHz Mac Pro.

dsp

Post by dsp » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:27 am

Does anyone else have this problem? Every day I have to change my preferences to "Dynamically show and hide windows", run a test conversions, then undo the unwanted preference.

????

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:36 am

Would you be willing to trash your preferences and try the "unstable" version of Max from the website?

dsp

Post by dsp » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:18 pm

sbooth-

Okay. I installed the current unstable version of Max (Max-r1055.tar.bz2).

In preferences, I de-selected "Dynamically show and hide windows" and then specified the rest of the applicable preferences. As a test, I asked Max to convert a single wav file to aiff and to deposit the result in the same location as the input file.

The results:

1. When requested to convert the file, Max just sat still and didn't do anything.

2. The log only showed Max had successfully started.

3. I changed the preference to "Dynamically show and hide windows" and again requested the conversion to take place.

4. The file converted.

5. I de-selected "Dynamically show and hide windows" and tested another file to be converted. The conversion ran perfectly.

6. I shut down the machine and re-booted.

7. I asked Max to convert yet another file. It sat still and did nothing.

8. I changed the preference to "Dynamically show and hide windows" and again requested the conversion to take place.

9. The file converted.

Rinse, lather, repeat...

By the way:

A. On the Output tab on the preference panel, I cannot get my desired selection ("Same as source file") to stick. Every time Max converted a file, it placed the output in the default Music folder. In fact, just toggling between tabs on the preference panel shows that my requested output location does not stick.

B. After a file is converted, the File Conversion panel stays on the screen. I'm assuming it should automatically be closed when the conversion is completed, but if you think people may want to still process the same files by then adding the Metadata or Album Art, then I think you should add a feature in the preferences panel to allow multiple options of how to handle the clearing of the File Conversion panel. To me, having the panel stay on wouldn't be so bad if another file conversion request could still be made, but the option to do so is greyed out while the File Conversion panel is open.

Hope this helps.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:26 pm

OK, I figured this one out. If the encoder/ripper window had never been opened the task would never be queued. I've fixed the bug now- thanks for reporting it!

dsp

Post by dsp » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:27 pm

sbooth-

Great. Were you also able to figure out why, in the unstable version I was testing, my selected preference (place the output in the same folder as the source file) does not stick?

Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 pm

I know why, but I haven't committed the fix yet. I will do so later today.