Getting iTunes to find Max's files

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
dmaclay

Getting iTunes to find Max's files

Post by dmaclay » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:40 am

I set Max to FLAC format immediately after downloading it, but can't find FLAC files in iTunes. Instead I get two different results:

1. If I leave a preference in iTunes to import a CD then I end up with an AAC or m4a listed in iTunes and a FLAC file that iTunes cannot (or will not) see in its default directory that was obviously encoded by Max while iTunes did its own thing. iTunes is not putting the files it decodes in the iTunes default folder.

2. If I set a preference to show a CD or ask what to do with it in iTunes then I get a FLAC file in the iTunes default music directory, but iTunes does not see it.

I do have one complication in my set up that may be confusing iTunes. The default directory for iTunes is in a user that is open to the public. I want to share my music. I operate in a user that is highly protected, but accesses shared information from the user that does not have a password. iTunes is set to look for music in the open user, but apparently just does not do it. What am I to make of this failure to find the files? Yes, this is more an iTunes problem than Max problem, and it s brought on by a reasonable arrangement for securing the mini, but getting iTunes and Max to work in sync just is not happening.

dmaclay

Re: Getting iTunes to find Max's files

Post by dmaclay » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:42 pm

The problem is very basic. When I run Max in the same user where the music library is none of the FLAC files are recognized by iTunes. Even the Add To Library function in iTunes does nothing. This is with iTunes 10. I must be missing something very basic. I have checked the boxes in Max Preferences to use iTunes compatibility mode and Add output files to iTunes library.

RonaldPR

Re: Getting iTunes to find Max's files

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:06 pm

The answer is simple: No software by Apple itself supports flac files. And that includes iTunes. Apple wants you to use its own lossless format. There are third-party solutions to make iTunes import and play flac files. When you do a Google search for "itunes flac", you may find some.