AIFF to FLAC on iMac

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
dougkrause

AIFF to FLAC on iMac

Post by dougkrause » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 pm

I recently received a hard drive with tons of high resolution audio files in AIFF format. Unfortunately, my OPPO BDP-95 Universal disc player does not play AIFF files - it can play WAV or FLAc files however. Therefore, my thought was to use MAX to batch convert these AIFF files to FLAC. Everything seems fine until I hit "CONVERT" and I quickly get the following error:

An error occurred while encoding the file
"09 Birk Works.flac".

FLAC__stream_encoder_process failed:
FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_CLIENT_ERROR

Not sure what to try. I went into the preferences and have it set to convert to FLAC. I did not change any of the default FLAC conversion settings. I have the files set to be outputted to an external hard drive. I am running the latest version of Lion on a new iMac. Any help would be very much appreciated. Also, if there is another interface that would be better for my application please let me know...it seems as though MAX is the one that I keep seeing referenced.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: AIFF to FLAC on iMac

Post by sbooth » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Is it possible that your drive is full?

dougkrause

Post by dougkrause » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm

I am pulling the files from a 2TB drive that is less than half full and outputting them to a blank/new 2 TB drive...

dougkrause

Post by dougkrause » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:21 pm

For the record, I also tried XLD and Bigasoft converters and also received some sort of encoder type error. The iMac is only about a month old and is fully updated and running Lion. It is almost as if I am missing a plug in or something...I am a recent PC to OSX convert so I am admittedly a little limited in my knowledge base...

mattn

Post by mattn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 pm

I recently received a hard drive with tons of high resolution audio files in AIFF format
Exactly what does "high resolution" mean? Perhaps these files are in some format that FLAC itself does not understand. (Under the hood, you are simply using the FLAC tool, no matter what GUI you choose.)

dougkrause

Post by dougkrause » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 am

As I say above, the files are AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format codesigned by Apple) files. I am trying to convert them to FLAC. By all accounts, this is something that MAX, XLD and other coverters should do easily. That is why the error is so confusing.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:52 am

If you want to send me a sample file (on DropBox) I will be happy to take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.

mattn

Post by mattn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 am

The fact that you're having trouble with Max and XLD and Bigasoft pretty much rules out this being a Max problem. I'm wondering, therefore, whether the problem has something to do with the format of the original files. "AIFF" could mean a lot of different things. So again I ask, what do you mean by "high resolution"? What is actual specification of the format of these problematic files? (If you don't know, try dragging one of them onto iMediaHUD; it's free and does a good job of describing sound file formats.)