I don't know what went wrong!

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
goldenband

I don't know what went wrong!

Post by goldenband » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:58 pm

I've just downloaded Max for the first time, and was using it to rip an old audio CDR I made sometime around 2000 and encode it to FLAC. As it was puttering along, I went to take a shower; when I returned from my shower, it was working on FLAC-ifying the next-to-last track, and had thrown up an error message to the effect that:

"There was a problem reading from this audio CD. Unable to complete [etc.]"

Unfortunately I don't remember/didn't write down the exact language. What I did notice, however, is that it didn't specify a track number -- in other words, it didn't say *where* the error happened, it just said that there was one.

As it turned out, the last track went unripped, so I'm guessing that for some reason (maybe the machine tried to go to sleep?) that track failed. I then attempted to re-rip it, with immediate success and no problems.

So I'm wondering whether (a) I'm interpreting the situation correctly, and (b) whether it might be useful to add more specifics to the error message that comes up when Max has trouble ripping a track.

Thoughts?

(Powerbook G4, OS X 10.4.8, 1.5 GB RAM)

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 pm

That error appears when, for whatever reason, your drive couldn't read your disc. It appears once per track that's unreadable. Since you've now ripped it successfully, the sleep explanation seems logical.
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.