Getting Music Brainz to work

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
FredS

Getting Music Brainz to work

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 pm

I'm trying to encode some CDs to FLAC and am having difficulty getting track names. I've read that FreeDB is defunct, or not supported. I've also read that music brainz was being considered to replace FreeDB. I've gone as far as to try to set up an address for music brainz, with the preferred server as "mm.musicbrainz.org", the port = 80, and the protocol as CDDBP, but I am having no luck. Clearly, I'm not doing something right! Any clues or suggestions? BTW - I'm using Max 0.6.1 and am running OS 10.4.6. Thanks!

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:27 pm

I don't think that follows necessarily. It may be the service rather than anything you're doing.

Often I get no response from Music Brainz at all. But on the other hand, it does work for me at times, so I doubt it's anything I'm doing, or I imagine the failure would be complete and consistent. (I haven't set up an account, so it's apparently not necessary to do so.)

I suspect that it's either that the service is frequently down or that the database isn't as large as some others and often has nothing to return - or perhaps both.

FWIW, I just tried with one CD and got no response at all; then with another and got back a listing for something else entirely.

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:16 pm

Um... 0.6.1 doesn't support Musicbrainz? At least not what I know of.

I guess you want this version: http://sbooth.org/files/Max-r1043.tar.bz2
(on the Max front page, under Download, just above "Relesse Notes")

I always get a response from MB, even for obscure Danish Rap from '89. The "best" I've done was a wrong reply for a CD from '93 not in their DB.
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:29 pm

You're most fortunate. I regularly get no response at all.

Here's the latest - on sale at Amazon, but Music Brainz knows nothing about it.

Interestingly, I've got another tool that used to use FreeDB and has now been changed to a database called, IIRC, gnudb. That can run a search by name, and it fetches information for some CDs John Lill is playing on, but not that one. Gracenote (used by iTunes) has no problem, of course. I've only once had a CD not come up in Gracenote, but that was a CD published by Linn the Scottish hifi company, so few were probably ever made.

I've found that Gracenote/CDDB has by far the fullest catalogue and is also the most accurate. FreeDB, before the buyout disrupted service, was not so good. But I've found that Music Brainz is, unfortunately, not even up to FreeDB standards.