i've found Max to be a very good encoder solution, especially with the ability to rip multiple formats with a click.
there have been a few strange issues with 0.6.1, but just minor irritations like it "missing" the CD or being unable to eject it. those problems were usually solved with a relaunch, quitting iTunes, or, at worst, deleting the prefs.
now Max has ceased to rip and encode, and it's a bit baffling. my configuration is Max 0.6.1, OS 10.4.8, PM G5.
the basic issue is that i select tracks, click "Encode" and it just sits there with the button grayed out
- the ripper and encoder windows never show any activity, nor does a process monitor.
- clicking the "Eject" button warns me that a task is underway, and can successfully eject the CD.
- other tasks seem unaffected, such as changing preferences, manipulating track data, and so forth.
- i haven't tried converting audio.
stuff i've tried, in many combinations:
- deleting the prefs.
- i usually rip 256k CBR MP3 and FLAC level 5; selecting just one or the other does the same thing (i haven't tried other formats, as i don't use any other formats).
- changing from the comparison ripper to the basic.
- quitting iTunes before launching Max.
- inserting the CD before and after launching Max.
- downloading a fresh copy of 0.6.1.
- Max 0.6.2b
- downloading the krmathis 762 build, mentioned in this post, but the link is dead.
monitoring console.log, system.log, and my user's log doesn't reveal any messages. Max's internal log file does not seem to offer much help, as it starts with the messages i usually see when it's successful:
i suppose i could try restarting the whole computer... but that's more of a last-ditch thing, i'd say. one strange phenomena occurs when running it from a separate drive (separate system/app and user drives); if i run it out of my download folder, ~/Downloads/Max-0.6.1/, i get the TOC read error dialog, while running it from /Applications/Video-Audio/Max-0.6.1/ produces the behavior above.2006-10-23 18:53:44 -0700 Max successfully launched
2006-10-23 18:53:45 -0700 Found CD on device disk4
2006-10-23 18:53:53 -0700 Unable to read the disc's media catalog number (MCN)
2006-10-23 18:53:53 -0700 Unable to read the international standard recording code (ISRC) for track 1
as an aside, 0.6.2b looks tasty. the preferences rearrangement in the current version was GREAT, and it continues to improve. i would love to see an option for automatic log file saving, like cover art, including a name template and RTF or plain text format preference.