FLAC to ALAC-everything showing "unknown"

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
yooper

FLAC to ALAC-everything showing "unknown"

Post by yooper » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:37 pm

Some, not all of my ALAC files show "unknow" artist and song after converting from FLAC to ALAC. The folder where the FLAC file originated from shows the track name and album, and worked/showed fine when I was using MCE on my partioned Intel Mini.

I have tried using Ieatbrainz to tag the songs, but this won't work either.

I have since deleted the Windows partion and decided to use OSX, all my music is on an external hard drive, and I am using the latest version of iTunes.

Any thoughts, or will I have to use the "get info" option and name each tag myself?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:50 pm

If you convert the same files to a different format (for example MP3 or Ogg (Vorbis)) are the tags carried over correctly?

yooper

Post by yooper » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:33 pm

I haven't tried that, but will. Will these 2 files play in iTunes or will I need to convert again? Also, I want to keep my music in losssless, I believe OGG is lossless, but mp3?

Edit..I just leaned that a plug in now exhists for Mac which support OGG in quicktime, which should allow playback in iTunes. I will let you know the results either way.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:44 am

yooper wrote:I haven't tried that, but will. Will these 2 files play in iTunes or will I need to convert again? Also, I want to keep my music in losssless, I believe OGG is lossless, but mp3?
It depends what's in it. Ogg is just a container. Ogg Vorbis is lossy; Ogg Flac, lossless. Conversion from native FLAC to the latter is very fast in Max.

As for playback in iTunes, the Xiph QuickTime components (what you're probably referring to in your edit) are certainly capable of allowing you to play Ogg Vorbis or Ogg Flac in QuickTime, and MP3 support is already there in iTunes - it can even encode into MP3 (though not as well as LAME/Max, of course).

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

yooper

Post by yooper » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks guys. Last night, I attempted to convert the FLAC files outputting to mp3 and OGG, and I am sorry to say, they both showed "unknown". I tried xACT and got the same results. Since ieatbrainz can't tag the songs either, I'm thinking some of my FLAC files may be problamatic? Any suggestions on what I might look at in the FLAC file which may be causing the problem? I'm still a little confused since MCE recognized the tags just fine.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:14 pm

yooper wrote:Thanks guys. Last night, I attempted to convert the FLAC files outputting to mp3 and OGG, and I am sorry to say, they both showed "unknown".
What a nuisance! How about in Stephen's tool Tag?

http://sbooth.org/Tag/

Can you see the tags in that?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:50 pm

I am not sure everyone is talking about the same thing in this thread.

1. Is the original posting about losing tags with conversion or about naming output folders "Unknown"?

2. Which version of Max was used? The release version 0.6.1 or one of the last "unstable" versions (that are not so unstable anymore).

yooper

Post by yooper » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:53 pm

Yes, I am referring to losing tags when converting tagged FLAC files to ALAC. Tags were good before conversion, unknown after conversion.

I recently tried xACT again, and the files switched fine. Although I have to do an extra step since I convert to FLAC to AIFF, drop in iTunes, then convert to Apple lossless.

I am running the latest version of Max. I believe this is most likely operator error, meaning me. I'll spend a little time researching this site to see what I might be doing wrong.

My next step is to attempt to convert some WMA lossless albums to ALAC. I believe Max will do this?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:02 am

No, Max doesn't support WMA (yet).

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:49 am

yooper wrote:Yes, I am referring to losing tags when converting tagged FLAC files to ALAC. Tags were good before conversion, unknown after conversion.
I was wondering if you could see the tags in the FLAC files in Tag. Did you try that?

I don't know MCE. Is that a tagging program or a ripping program? Have you got a link to it?

What occurs to me is that the tags in the FLAC file should be Vorbis comments but may not be:
FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.
http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html#general__tagging

Maybe the program you originally tagged with used something other than Vorbis comments, and MCE can see that, but other programs don't, because it's not what's expected. But maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.