How do I set Apple Lossless for ripping?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
ag644

How do I set Apple Lossless for ripping?

Post by ag644 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi,
I'm new to Max and am having trouble figuring out which of the CD ripper encoding settings will get me Apple Lossless files. (I'm ripping standard commercially issued CDs to an external HD for archival storage.)

Or should I just use FLAC? My only hesitation is that I've already ripped about a hundred CDs (with about 800 or so to go,) using iTunes as Apple Lossless files and assume there's some wisdom in ripping all my archival backups in the same format. Any advice on that score would also be appreciated.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:27 pm

To rip to Apple Lossless, use the MPEG-4 Audio file type with Apple Lossless as the data type. Max -> Preferences -> Formats -> MPEG-4 Audio (the first one), add, select Apple Lossless.

The beauty of lossless files is that you can convert them at will, with no data loss whatsoever- so format is mostly a matter of convenience. I would say if you have a bunch of Apple Lossless files you might as well keep going with Apple Lossless (especially if you plan on using them with iTunes). If you have album art, FLAC does not support album art yet (but will imminently), so Apple Lossless isn't a bad way to go. Personally, though, I like FLAC because it is a completely open standard.

ag644

Post by ag644 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Thanks for the speedy and helpful reply!

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:30 pm

sbooth wrote:If you have album art, FLAC does not support album art yet (but will imminently), so Apple Lossless isn't a bad way to go.
That's interesting - although I don't know I shall take advantage of that feature when it does come to FLAC.

I guess now iTunes is storing the cover art in a database rather than in the files there would be no particular advantage to imbedding it in ALAC files, since they're not particularly "portable" anyway ... except that I suspect anyone with a large collection would be lucky to find more than a fraction of the cover art at the iTMS, and I don't think it's possible to add files manually to the database.

More generally, it seems to me that artwork is something that might be better handled by the player than the music files. I know it's not so portable that way, but it does seem faintly ridiculous to imbed the same image in 20 or so MP3 files.