Preserve filenames for untagged files

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Maurits

Preserve filenames for untagged files

Post by Maurits » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm starting to use Max more and more and it seems to make significant improvements every update. It's getting rather good, thanks!

However, I've just encoded a bunch of files from untagged FLAC to m4a. The untagged files have filenames which contain artist, album tracknumber etc. etc. After encoding the FLAC's the encoded m4a's have names like "Unknown Artist - Unknown Disc - [00] - Unknown Track-1.m4a" and still no tags. I've actually lost info here. :(

I suppose it's because I've set "Specify file names for output", since these files actually don't have tags the filenames are created from empty values. Is there a way to have Max leave filenames intact when they don't contain tags? Even better would be if Max could create tags from filenames but that's a bit more difficult I suppose...

If there is a way to overcome this problem (without having to switch the "Specify file names for output" switch off everytime I want to encode untagged files) at the moment?

Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Preserve filenames for untagged files

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:54 pm

Maurits wrote:Is there a way to have Max leave filenames intact when they don't contain tags? Even better would be if Max could create tags from filenames but that's a bit more difficult I suppose...
If you check the "Save converted files to the same location as original" in the Output preferences Max will leave filenames intact, only changing the file's extension. If there is an extension conflict a "-1", type suffix will be appended to the filename.

FWIW, this isn't related to custom naming- the same issue would occur with standard naming as well. Max assumes that files have valid tag information and uses that for filenaming (as you pointed out). For CDs this is a decent assumption but for converting files it may not be ideal.

As far as reading metadata from filenames, it could be done, but I see this being a pain from a user perspective. I guess it would necessitate a string like the custom naming format to be used for parsing. And how would this be specified: globally in the prefs, per file-open, or per-file?

If you want this feature please add it to the bug tracker.

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks for your answer, will use original dir from now on.

I think converting filenames into tags would be a nice feature but it's definitely not a high priority feature. Your focus on improving the secure ripping capabilities is much more important. You'd be the first one to tackle it on OS X as far as I know. 8)

Stereo

Post by Stereo » Tue May 16, 2006 5:11 pm

Media Rage does this. I personally use the FreeDB file tagger feature more often.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Maurits wrote:I think converting filenames into tags would be a nice feature but it's definitely not a high priority feature. Your focus on improving the secure ripping capabilities is much more important. You'd be the first one to tackle it on OS X as far as I know. 8)
Slightly tangential, but the new version of Tag can rename files based on tags and gather tag information from filenames.