convert from one format to the other

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
lawrencearms

convert from one format to the other

Post by lawrencearms » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:03 am

how do you convert a file from one format to the other? when i try and open a file, they are greyed out and will not open. thanks.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:32 pm

Are you using "Open" off the File menu? There's also "Convert Files" on teh same menu.

I'd set the format I wanted in Max's Preference dialog first, then select "Convert Files" off the File menu. You should be able to select them then.

Alternatively, you could drag the files and drop them on Max's icon in the Dock. As long as the configured output format under "Formats" in the Preferences dialog is different from the original format, Max will convert the file.

lawrencearms

Post by lawrencearms » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:14 pm

thank you for the reply.

this seems to work, but it renames every converted file to UNKNOWN TRACK...is there a way to transfer the info that was created with the original AIFF file to the MP3?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:17 pm

lawrencearms wrote:... it renames every converted file to UNKNOWN TRACK...is there a way to transfer the info that was created with the original AIFF file to the MP3?
Sorry, I don't know. I've tried converting FLAC to MP3 and to Ogg Vorbis before, and both of those conversions worked just fine with all (or most) of the tags/comments carried over. I've never tried converting AIFF files.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:07 am

lawrencearms wrote:thank you for the reply.

this seems to work, but it renames every converted file to UNKNOWN TRACK...is there a way to transfer the info that was created with the original AIFF file to the MP3?
The current versions of Max don't support grabbing the ID3 tags from AIFF audio, sorry.