Ripping with CD Parania Results in White Noise Tracks

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
posthaste

Ripping with CD Parania Results in White Noise Tracks

Post by posthaste » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:13 pm

I've found a CD that results in "white noise" tracks after being ripped by CD Paranoia (error correction enabled, full paranoia, never allow skipping disabled). The disc in question is 'The Best of James Bond - 30th Anniversary Collection.'

It always creates noise mp3 tracks when ripping with CD Paranoia. If I switch to the Basic Ripper, the tracks sound fine.

saktomo

Post by saktomo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:41 pm

I am having similar problems, have tried 3 different CDs with the same white noise results under CD Paranoia. I am using the unstable 1043 release on an 24" iMac with a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J burner. Also noteable is that the final file size of the files ripped with CD Paranoia are smaller than the comparison rip.

posthaste

More White Noise Tracks with CD Paranoia

Post by posthaste » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:59 pm

Thanks for the update, Saktomo.

I came across another CD that results in white noise tracks using the CD Paranoia ripper.

Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-11D
Max 0.6.1 (current release version)
The Merchant of Venice OST (2004)

Active ripper: paranoia
Enable logging: unchecked
Encode the selected tracks to a single file: unchecked

Paranoia Settings
Error Correction: Enabled
Type: Full Paranoa
Allow skipping after: 20 retries
Never allow skipping: unchecked

I tried Paranoia with and without error correction being enabled and ended up with white noise tracks.

Btw, this is ripping the CD and encoding to MP3 with Best Quality.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

I had some files that were mostly just noise. I'd ripped them with Paranoia, and remembering the original post I tried again with the Basic Ripper, which by contrast worked fine. (I'd encoded to both MP3 and FLAC and both sets of files were noisy - which is not surprising if Paranoia is the culprit here.)

The offending CD in this case was a reissue of some pieces of music conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler, so it would have been transfers of pretty old recordings. But I don't know if that would be relevant - I've always had Paranoia set as the ripper, and never come across the problem before, even with other old transfers.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:18 pm

I've also experienced this problem on one CD. I wonder if these discs are non-compliant CD-DA?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:26 am

The one I had problems with seems perfectly normal - just a bunch of AIFF files. I don't know if this is relevant but it carries a logo "art". Under that in tiny print is "Abbey Road Technologies". The spiel beside that says: " Remastered at Abbey Road Studios and noise-shaped via the Prism SNS system for optimum sound quality".

Maybe Paranoia doesn't care for the way they've "shaped" the "noise" and is trying to "correct" things.

:D

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am

Mike1 wrote:The one I had problems with seems perfectly normal - just a bunch of AIFF files
:?:
A normal Audio-CD does not contain a bunch of AIFF files, or does it? :?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:44 pm

No, that's true. And in point of fact, under Windows the file browser does show .cda files.

It seems it would have been more accurate to say, "Appears to be a bunch of AIFF files (and a (hidden) XML file) in Finder."

And actually it looks just the same at the command line:

Code: Select all

$ ls -a /Volumes/Great\ Artists\ of\ the\ Century:\ Wilhelm\ Furtwa\314\210ngler/ 
.TOC.plist
1 Ma?? vlast (My Country): II. Vlata (The River Moldau).aiff
2 Don Juan Op. 20.aiff
3 Till Eulenspiegel's lustige Streiche Op. 28.aiff
4 Tod und Verkla??rung Op. 24.aiff
I didn't know about this.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 pm

Today I encountered this problem.

I ripped a 14 track CD with paranoia and all resulting files contained white noise only.

I made several different attempts with paranoia ripper and they all resulted in tracks with white noise.
Max 0.61, FLAC
Max 0.61, AIFF
Max rev1068, FLAC
Max rev1068, AIFF

The CD shows the normal Compact Disk Digital Audio logo and there is no indication on the CD or on the box that it is a unusual format or has a form of copy protection.
The CD plays fine in Cog. Info in Cog: Frequency 44100, Bitrate 0, Bps 16, Channels 2.
Both freedb and MusicBrainz provided the correct tags for the CD.

I then tried Basic ripper and Comparison ripper. They both worked fine ripping to FLAC with Max rev1068.

I also tried ripping to FLAC on my Hifidelio Pro, which uses paranoia, and it worked fine.

Very strange.

KAC

Post by KAC » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:42 pm

I've been seeing this problem as well with the latest unstable release, trying to rip tracks from Paul Weller's Stanley Road (1995) and Harry Potter 3 (2004). Both were ripped using the paranoia ripper.

DaftUnion

Re: Ripping with CD Parania Results in White Noise Tracks

Post by DaftUnion » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:09 am

After massive amounts of CD Ripping (I'm working on a 600+ cd collection) I've experienced white noise with the following CD's:

Using CD Paranoia/Full Paranoia/Never Allow Skipping Checked

R.E.M.: In Time: The Best Of R.E.M. 1988-2003

The Kinks: Ultimate Collection

There may be more but I forgot to write down the CD's that did this and kept on ripping my collection.

----------------------------------------------

Maybe I'll update this in a year or so when I finish ripping my entire collection and go back and see which ones were no good with the white noise.