copying cd as disk image

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
dbcarlton

copying cd as disk image

Post by dbcarlton » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:55 pm

I have a doubtless naive question: I have a collection of CD's, many of which are rather old and damaged. So Max looks like a great tool for extracting the audio data.

The thing is, what I really want to use Max for is as a backup tool: what I'd like to do is just copy the raw disk contents, except with error correction, so that I can burn a new copy if I lose the original or if it gets any more damaged. So the track-oriented stuff is nice enough, but a bit of a distraction from what I really want: I'd like the moral equivalent of "dd if=/dev/disk1 of=..." except with error correction.

Can Max do that for me? Or can I go trivially from, say, a collection of WAV files to a CD image containing exactly the original CD's data (including, for example, the gaps between tracks)?

dbcarlton

Post by dbcarlton » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:27 am

All right, that really was a naive question, and I should have read a little more before posting. So if I copy them as a 16 bit WAV or AIFF file, it will basically be the same as what's on the CD. And it should be easy enough to re-burn that using any number of tools out there.

Is there any metadata information that I'd be missing by doing that? E.g. when I use iTunes to rip a CD into MP3's, it screws up gaps between tracks; am I losing that sort of information?

(And just what do I get when I do dd if=/dev/disk1 of=..., anyways?)

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:09 am

dbcarlton wrote:All right, that really was a naive question, and I should have read a little more before posting. So if I copy them as a 16 bit WAV or AIFF file, it will basically be the same as what's on the CD. And it should be easy enough to re-burn that using any number of tools out there.
Have you actually tried this? It was not working for me. This far from being a naive question.

Cheers, Emilia

john_gregg

Post by john_gregg » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:02 pm

Without metadata, I think you would lose the disc identifier that's used by freeedb and cddb, for example. A good solution would be rip to a single flac file. Flac gives approximately 2x compression and contains embedded metadata. Some audio players (WinAmp, Squeezebox) can make it appear as separate tracks. However Max 0.6.1 doesn't get the track offsets quite right, so it's not suitable for this yet. I've posted a note about this and Stephan said he will work on it.

john

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:13 am

john_gregg wrote: A good solution would be rip to a single flac file. Flac gives approximately 2x compression and contains embedded metadata. Some audio players (WinAmp, Squeezebox) can make it appear as separate tracks. However Max 0.6.1 doesn't get the track offsets quite right, so it's not suitable for this yet. I've posted a note about this and Stephan said he will work on it.john

I was looking for Cue info and I ran across this thread. Are you saying that Max is not yet suitible for ripping CDs as a single file due to this "offset" you mentioned? I've already ripped almost all my CDs as separate tracks, but was considering re-ripping them as single FLACs. But I won't if Max can't do it correctly.

john_gregg

Post by john_gregg » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:01 pm

Rebel wrote: Are you saying that Max is not yet suitible for ripping CDs as a single file due to this "offset" you mentioned?
Yep. That's what I'm saying. I haven't heard anything from anyone else about it, so it would be useful if you could try to duplicate the problem. If you don't have an audio player that will show the songs as separate tracks, just open the cue sheet and see if the offsets are correct.

db

Post by db » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:44 pm

What happened to this? I am also interested in creating images using error correction.

SciFi

try cdrdao?

Post by SciFi » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:22 pm

db wrote:What happened to this? I am also interested in creating images using error correction.
When I had my G4 & G5 systems, I got cdrdao running with some help (IIRC it uses cdparanoia's scg/schilly libs).
cdrdao is at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrdao