What exactly is the basic ripper?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
khead

What exactly is the basic ripper?

Post by khead » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:46 am

I had been wondering about this in a general sense for a while now.
I’m even more curious now that, for the first time I’ve checked, it’s actually ripping quite a bit slower than the paranoia ripper on a brand new perfect condition disk
Quite strange.

khead

Post by khead » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:48 pm

The strange slower reading speed is related to one specific drive (Lite-On) in an external enclosure. Switching to an NEC in the same enclosure, things work as they should.

Is the basic ripper a sort of generic thing?
Might the iTunes ripper with error correction off be the same thing, or is there another application that uses the same ripper?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:19 pm

The basic ripper takes a pretty generic approach- it uses the same interface to the CD drive as the comparison ripper (which uses DKIOCD* ioctls for the dirty work) but it simply reads a block and then saves it, with no C2 error checking or anything of the like.

As far as another application using the same ripper, it's possible since Max is open-source but I did write it from scratch for Max.

khead

Post by khead » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Thanks.

Don’t know what DKIOCD means though... :wink:

Just wondering if there might be any reason to think there might be a difference in the way non error correcting rippers might perform... but I don’t even know if there might be any others available on the Mac other than possibly the one in iTunes.