Newbie Question - Different Directories for output?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
boerner

Newbie Question - Different Directories for output?

Post by boerner » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:41 am

Max newb alert...

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Is there any way currently (or planned for the future) to allow different output formats to go to different directories?

For example, I want to encode all my tracks to both FLAC (for use with my Squeezebox) and OGG (for use with my portable player). I would ideally like to have a Music folder, with both a FLAC and an OGG directory nested underneath. I would like to have the respective output go to the different directories.

I hope I am being clear...any help/guidance appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:07 am

How about adding {fileFormat} somewhere in your output "File Naming Format"?
Something like this:

Code: Select all

{fileFormat}/{discArtist}/{discTitle}/{trackNumber} - {trackTitle}

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:49 pm

Please pardon my butting in and especially pardon me if I am wrong in my assumption of the OP's intent. I do so because what I believe he/she is referring to is something I have been wanting to suggest but held back due to all the other refinements already in the works.

If I understand your suggestion, krmathis, the result would be a sorting order but still within the one chosen output directory (which would still be the case even with the advanced output functionality/flexibility in the svn builds).

What I believe the OP (and I) would like is an entirely separate directory for each format. Your suggestion would list all the files for each format together in the one output directory (e.g. all ALAC followed by all FLACs followed by MP3s). What "we" would like is for there to be, in effect, three (or two, whatever) separate lists (e.g. all ALACs to one folder all MP3s to another and all FLACs to still another). Granted this would make for a very "busy" interface but *is* the all-in-one, be-all for-all, thing Max seems to have been headed for all along, whether intended or not.

Again, please forgive me if I am off-base. I've been too damn busy at work and home to be functioning properly even in those real worlds.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Fuga wrote:If I understand your suggestion, krmathis, the result would be a sorting order but still within the one chosen output directory
Yes, which seems to be exactly what he wants! ;)
boerner wrote:I would ideally like to have a Music folder, with both a FLAC and an OGG directory nested underneath.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:29 pm

One workaround would be to set up each {fileFormat} directory as a symbolic link to the desired location.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:59 pm

krmathis wrote:
Fuga wrote:If I understand your suggestion, krmathis, the result would be a sorting order but still within the one chosen output directory
Yes, which seems to be exactly what he wants! ;)
boerner wrote:I would ideally like to have a Music folder, with both a FLAC and an OGG directory nested underneath.
Aw, man. That's twice today I misread something. I'm hesitant to even hit "Submit" for this reply.

boerner

Thanks for the quick responses

Post by boerner » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:12 pm

Hello everyone,

Fuga, you are right with your assumption. I do want two distinct output directories. I did experiment with the solution that sbooth recommended (using symlinks) but didn't really like it. I am trying to work on a simple script that will sync the oggs with a portable player in different fashions (i.e. press 1 for a random dump, press 2 for the newest music, up to the devices capacity, etc) and it seemed like dealing with the symlinks would make it unnecessarily complicated.

So I can I assume that I did not miss a feature, there is no current way to do this? I tried to the latest svn binary to see if things had changed (which I don't think they have in this respect).

Please, please do not think this post as a whine. Max is one of the main reasons I bought a Mac. I know it had been mentioned in previous posts, but I would definitely like to make a monetary contribution to the project. If not directory, maybe in his name to a charity of his choice. The app is too not to not get recognized.

Thanks again for your help and input.