Encoding Error "Unable to write to the output file"

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
timothy.michael.clark

Encoding Error "Unable to write to the output file"

Post by timothy.michael.clark » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:19 am

Hey all, I'm running to a bit of a cryptic issue, hope you can help me out.

I'm attempting to rip a CD to a network drive, but Max can't seem to encode an entire mp3 without failing. The error message I'm getting is:
An error occurred while encoding the file '01 Ame-2.mp3'. Unable to write to the output file.
I've tried it multiple times, and it seems to be failing at different percentages in the encoding process. Not sure why that would be though...The correct folders and a fragment of the mp3 are created on the network drive, it just fails every time.

I've had no issues writing files to this drive from anywhere else on my Mac, so I'm fairly sure it's an issue with Max, not my network drive. Any ideas?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:19 am

This has been a known issue (http://sbooth.org/tracker/view.php?id=96) for a while, and I still can't figure it out. I don't have any network drives at home for testing which makes the debugging a bit difficult.

I am in the middle of making some rather large changes in the UI, but once I get the application working again I will throw together a debug build that should print some slightly more descriptive error messages that will help with the debugging.

Does this occur with all formats, or only MP3? I am curious if FLAC or CoreAudio works...

timothy.michael.clark

Post by timothy.michael.clark » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:50 am

sbooth wrote:Does this occur with all formats, or only MP3? I am curious if FLAC or CoreAudio works...
I just tried FLAC out, no problems there. The whole file encodes without issue.

If you want me to test anything else for you, just let me know. I'd like to help if I can.

irishfan

Post by irishfan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:01 am

I have the same issue. Ripping to MP3 seems to work, but encoding does not complete because app can't write to output file.

I'm using 'transparent' settings, and paranoia
Macbook, MacMini, OSX 10.4.7

sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:07 pm

When I encode mp3 or ogg to my network share I get the error but apple lossless works.

Encoding files locally works with all formats I tried so far, flac ogg mp3 alac.

arthurc

Post by arthurc » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:44 am

Ran into the very same problem. Snarfed the source code and built it locally to dig into the problem. Seems there's some issue with write() failing on network device writes. I changed the open/write/close to the buffered variants fopen/fwrite/fclose and it now works fine for me. I haven't seen it fail yet. I've submitted a patch to the author.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:09 pm

I've committed patches for the MP3 and Ogg Vorbis encoders that fix this problem. Thanks to arthurc for the fix!

johio

Post by johio » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:25 am

Could you please post the patches here, as the actual cvs doesn't build?

Thanks Johannes

sbooth
Site Admin

Re:

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:27 pm

johio wrote:Could you please post the patches here, as the actual cvs doesn't build?
Many people might not know that you can generate patches using the SourceForge interface to the svn repository. Here are links to the patches for the MP3 and Ogg Vorbis encoders:

catastrofe

Re: Encoding Error "Unable to write to the output file"

Post by catastrofe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Can you create a patch for AIFF files also? Once done, how do I use the patch file?

Thanks,

Bob