Newbie questions

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Joe_Smiley

Newbie questions

Post by Joe_Smiley » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:14 pm

hi. i am not very familiar with file formats such as flac but i am trying to learn. i have a few questions. i have read that flac is more of an archival format (such as .zip) and that there is no audio quality loss when going from wav to flac and that you can go back to wav from flac also without losing quality. i just downloaded and tried out Max ver 0.6.1. i converted a cd into flac files and it worked just fine. when i tried to convert back to wav, it made wav files but those files wouldnt play in itunes. am i mistaken about being able to turn it back to its original file form? did i do it the wrong way?

also, another question i have is, as far as mp3s go, it seems to be that the standard kbps in audio quality is 192 (i.e. the lowest quality that is acceptable as sounding good - some say 128 but i dont encode less than 192) is there such a standard for flac? in the preferences for Max when you chose the flac compression setting there are 8 different levels of compression to choose from, also something about reserving bytes for metadat which i have no idea what that means. what are the ideal setting when converting to flac?

are there any other things i should be aware of when using max or making flac files. any help or answers are much appreciated.

thanks

danco

Post by danco » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 pm

There's no standard for flac, as the quality doesn't vary at the different levels of encoding. The higher levels of encoding produce smaller files at the cost of more time to encode (decoding takes the same time whichever one uses). So it's a matter of personal preerence. 6 (or possibly 5) seem to be the best, in terms of giving a decent reduction in size in a comfortable time. 8 takes lots longer than 6 without giving that much of a size reduction.

Metadata refers to such tings as artidt and track names. If space is reserved then any changes in these (for instance, adding a genre or other information) just requires changing the metadata part of the file. If there's no reserved space, then changing metadata may change the whole length of the file and mean that the main audio part has to get moved, which is less convenient.

Joe_Smiley

Post by Joe_Smiley » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:53 am

thank you for your reply. i have another question. i have read that when encoding to flac you can generate a cue sheet, specifically for burning a cd later. what exactly is a cue sheet and how do you make one with max? i only saw an option to do this if you make the entire record one file...