Max wont Start

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
asana

Max wont Start

Post by asana » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 am

Wow, was I excited to find such a program that can convert so many formats. My son sent me some .flac files, and I found Max to convert them, so I can listen to them.
I d/l-ed 0.6.1 today put Max in the Application folder of my PB G3 500 / 10.3.7 / 768 RAM, double-clicked on it... and nothing happened.
I hurried to fix the permission, restarted, but Max won't boot. I see a little action on my processor menu meter, but then it flattens. Frankly, I am at a loss.
Anyone has had the experience and found a way to solve it?
Many thanks,
asana

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max wont Start

Post by sbooth » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:09 am

asana wrote:I d/l-ed 0.6.1 today put Max in the Application folder of my PB G3 500 / 10.3.7 / 768 RAM, double-clicked on it... and nothing happened.
I hurried to fix the permission, restarted, but Max won't boot. I see a little action on my processor menu meter, but then it flattens. Frankly, I am at a loss.
The current version of Max requires OS X 10.4 or later. I use several of the features that are new in 10.4 so a 10.3 port is unlikely. Sorry!

asana

Post by asana » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:34 pm

sbooth wrote:
asana wrote:I d/l-ed 0.6.1 today put Max in the Application folder of my PB G3 500 / 10.3.7 / 768 RAM, double-clicked on it... and nothing happened.
The current version of Max requires OS X 10.4 or later. I use several of the features that are new in 10.4 so a 10.3 port is unlikely. Sorry!
That's progress! How could I overlook that fact. I did not see the system requirements.
Anyhow, would you kindly tell me which version plays on 10.3.9 and if it is on your site?
Thank you kindly,

asana

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:47 am

asana wrote:That's progress! How could I overlook that fact. I did not see the system requirements.
Anyhow, would you kindly tell me which version plays on 10.3.9 and if it is on your site?
To be honest, I'm not sure if any version of Max will run on 10.3.9! It was never designed to do so, but I imagine that some of the earliest versions might work. All of the released versions can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=158413. I would probably start with 0.5.6 and work backwards if that one doesn't work.

asana

Post by asana » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:41 pm

sbooth wrote:
asana wrote:That's progress! How could I overlook that fact. I did not see the system requirements.
To be honest, I'm not sure if any version of Max will run on 10.3.9! It was never designed to do so, but I imagine that some of the earliest versions might work. All of the released versions can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=158413. I would probably start with 0.5.6 and work backwards if that one doesn't work.
Thanks, Stephen!
I just wanted to report that I went back and checked each version until 0.5 and none would start.
Would you have any recommendation on how to convert .flac to mp3 or ogg using OS10.3.9. (I should not install Tiger on my G3 500.)
I am impressed about your service motive. This board is a reflection of who you are. Keep up the good work.
asana

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:10 pm

You might give xACT a try (It seems to require Mac OS X 10.3 or higher).
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

I have never used it though. :lol:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:03 am

asana wrote:Would you have any recommendation on how to convert .flac to mp3 or ogg using OS10.3.9. (I should not install Tiger on my G3 500.)
I am impressed about your service motive. This board is a reflection of who you are. Keep up the good work.
asana
Are you comfortable using command-line applications? If so, you could download and compile/install flac and either lame or vorbis tools (or use fink or darwinports) and then use flac to manually decode to .wav and then encode to mp3 with lame or to ogg with vorbis.

sealed

Post by sealed » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 pm

I'm also having this problem, but my system meets the system requirements. After clicking the icon, it shows in the application bar, then immediately shuts itself down.

I'm not very computer literate, especially with Mac, so any help would be really really appreciated.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:12 am

Maybe the fact that Max does not show any window when it is launched does confuse you? As long as the Max icon is shown in the Dock with the little black triangle, it is running. Clicking on the icon in the Dock will again reveal the menu bar belonging to Max at the top of the screen.

sealed

Post by sealed » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:23 pm

nah, i double checked, it's not anywhere in my tool bar. it flashes there, then immediately shuts down the program. I'm pretty sure there's a simple answer compounded by my lack of mac knowledge. any other ideas? thanks much!

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:18 am

Check your console.log, and see if you find any error code related to Max.
Or try to launch Max from Terminal, and post the output here:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Max.app/Contents/MacOS/Max 

laurentsj

Re:

Post by laurentsj » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:11 am

krmathis wrote:Check your console.log, and see if you find any error code related to Max.
Or try to launch Max from Terminal, and post the output here:

/Applications/Max.app/Contents/MacOS/Max 
Hello

I'm having the same problem: Max won't start either.
when launching from the terminal, this is what i see:

-bash: /Applications/Max.app/Contents/MacOS/Max: Permission denied
I did file info and ensured i had file permissions set to read and write... where else should i look ?

Thanks a lot for an help.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:42 pm

It almost sounds like you don't have the executable bit set on the package or its contents. I would try downloading a fresh version, and if you still have problems with that one, you can likely use chmod to fix things:

chmod 755 Max.app

adder89422

Post by adder89422 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:48 pm

The same 'permission denied' message pops up when I try to open Max with Terminal (naturally it doesn't open by itself). I've tried downloading it again several times and the chmod command but it still doesn't work. Any help would be very much appreciated!