FLAC encoder settings, custom settings in Max

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
FLAC_Attack

FLAC encoder settings, custom settings in Max

Post by FLAC_Attack » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:05 am

Hello,

I'm relatively new to FLAC and thus far, have only used the default encoder settings in Max. I would like to possibly tweak the custom settings, but I'm uncertain of what some of them mean. I've looked on the "Max Help: FLAC" file, but not all of the custom settings are explained, they simply say "to be written" behind them. I've searched on the web, looked at numerous sites (including the sourceforge FLAC page) and I either come up with no answers to my questions or something written in a way that is difficulat to comprehend. If anyone could help me with the following terms I would appreciate it:

1. QLP coefficient precision
2. Minimum residual partition order
3. Maximum residual partition order
4. Maximum LPC order

Also, how many bites should I reserve for metadata? I realize that choosing this number may be based on the other enocder settings I use and/or the limits of a particular computer? . . . Or perhaps I'm totaly wrong on this one. . .

Thank you for any help.
Last edited by FLAC_Attack on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: FLAC encoder settings, custom settings in Max

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:05 am

FLAC_Attack wrote:I'm relatively new to FLAC and thus far, have only used the default encoder settings in Max. I would like to possibly tweak the custom settings, but I'm uncertain of what some of them mean. I've looked on the "Max Help: FLAC" file, but not all of the custom settings are explained, they simply say "to be written" behind them. I've searched on the web, looked at numerous sites (including the sourceforge FLAC page) and I either come up with no answers to my questions or something written in a way that is difficulat to comprehend. If anyone could help me with the following terms I would appreciate it:

1. QLP coefficient precision
2. Minimum residual partition order
3. Maximum residual partition order
4. Maximum LPC order
I am not an expert in codecs or digital audio, and as such I can only provide the definitions of these terms- I can't tell you what they mean! :) To start, QLP = quantized linear predictor and LPC = linear predictor coefficients.

QLP coefficient precision = The precision, in bits, of the quantized linear predictor coefficients
Minimum/Maximum residual partition order = The partition order determines the context size in the residual. The context size will be approximately blocksize / (2 ^ order).

Set both min and max values to 0 to force a single context, whose Rice parameter is based on the residual signal variance. Otherwise, set a min and max order, and the encoder will search all orders, using the mean of each context for its Rice parameter, and use the best.

You might need to ask some of the more knowledgeable folks at http://hydrogenaudio.org for actual explanations of how these work.
Also, how many bites should I reserve for metadata? I realize that choosing this number may be based on the other enocder settings I use and/or the limits of a particular computer? . . . Or perhaps I'm totaly wrong on this one. . .

Thank you for any help.
As many as you think you need- but it should be fairly independent of the encoder settings or computer capability. This setting is the amount of empty space, in bytes, that will be left at the beginning of the FLAC file. This way when metadata is changed, it is not necessary to rewrite the entire file. Rewriting a large file (like a FLAC file) is a time-intensive operation. So, having empty space reserved for metadata can speed editing later on.

FLAC_Attack

Post by FLAC_Attack » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:55 am

Thank you for the help sbooth. It will get me started in the right direction.