Can't drag to Converter window

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
henry33

Can't drag to Converter window

Post by henry33 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:29 am

Just downloaded Max. Trying to convert AAC files of NPR programs recorded by radioSHARK (only other choice is AAIF) to MP3 to burn on CDs. But files will not drag from radioSHARK Recorded list to the convertor. What am I doing wrong?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Can't drag to Converter window

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:03 am

henry33 wrote:Just downloaded Max. Trying to convert AAC files of NPR programs recorded by radioSHARK (only other choice is AAIF) to MP3 to burn on CDs. But files will not drag from radioSHARK Recorded list to the convertor. What am I doing wrong?
Possibly nothing- it depends on what type of information radioSHARK is placing on the clipboard.

I'm not familiar with radioSHARK- are you able to save the files to disk?

If you can save the files to disk, please try dragging one of the files from Finder and see if that works.

henry33

Can't drag to converter window

Post by henry33 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Thanks, Admin. radioSHARK saves time-shifted programs as either AIFF or AAC. I did find I could save the files to my desktop by using Spotlight to find them. However their icons are then labeled MPEG4. I know AAC is part of MPEG4 but I thought it was a proprietary codec. I couldn't find the actual radio SHARK files anywhere on the HD doing it manually. Not in Library.

So I went to Formats: Configured Output Formats window and added MPEG4 to the AAC & MP3 I already had selected. No difference - when I try to drag the files from my desktop into the Converter window, I get the warning "The file's format was not recognized." Is the Configured Output window calling for a listing of the files you want to convert or the format you want to convert them to? I asked radioSHARK for help but nothing.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Can't drag to converter window

Post by sbooth » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:26 am

henry33 wrote:Thanks, Admin. radioSHARK saves time-shifted programs as either AIFF or AAC. I did find I could save the files to my desktop by using Spotlight to find them. However their icons are then labeled MPEG4. I know AAC is part of MPEG4 but I thought it was a proprietary codec. I couldn't find the actual radio SHARK files anywhere on the HD doing it manually. Not in Library. So I went to Formats: Configured Output Formats window and added MPEG4 to the AAC & MP3 I already had selected. No difference - when I try to drag the files from my desktop into the Converter window, I get the warning "The file's format was not recognized." Is the Configured Output window calling for a listing of the files you want to convert or the format you want to convert them to? I asked radioSHARK for help but nothing.
Are you able to open the files with QuickTime Player? If so, what does the Info window say as far as the file type goes? What is their extension? Max should be able to decode most AAC files.

Another option would be to save to AIFF- there should be no ambiguity involved in converting this format.

The configured output formats is for the formats you want to convert to. In theory, any input format supported by Max can be converted to any output format.