Where to install? AKA stupid newbie question.

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
donglecrack

Where to install? AKA stupid newbie question.

Post by donglecrack » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Please bear with me... :oops:
I'm totally new to OS X coming from many years of win usage. Mostly there's just one .app file to drag and drop to the Applications-folder when installing software.

In the Max-archive there were also a couple of other files like "Delete Saved CD Information". I understand I don't want to put all these files in the root of the Applications folder. Should I create a folder (named Max), containing Max.app, "Delete Preferences", "Delete Saved CD Information" etc, under the applications-folder when i run into programs like these? Is there a convention or a way OS X wants it? Or, should "Delete Saved CD Information" and the other files go under Library/Application Support?

Thanks in advance...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:39 pm

Those AppleScripts are mostly utilities for people upgrading from previous versions who want to clean out the application-related data- you don't really need to hang on to them unless you want to.

That said, if you want to keep them around, I would probably make a Max folder inside Applications. The Application Support directory would work, but is a bit harder to find.

donglecrack

Post by donglecrack » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:52 pm

sbooth wrote:That said, if you want to keep them around, I would probably make a Max folder inside Applications. The Application Support directory would work, but is a bit harder to find.
OK, thanks for the answer!
I was an EAC/Foobar2000 guy with windows. Really glad to see there's finally a good ripper/encoder for OS X.