Artwork problem, & a couple of questions

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Rebel

Artwork problem, & a couple of questions

Post by Rebel » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:26 pm

I have a bunch of FLAC files that were previously ripped from my CDs. Lately I've been converting them to mp3, and adding them to iTunes. Many of the songs will not accept artwork. With some albums, there are about half the songs that I simply cannot add artwork to, while the other take it just fine. I have one album, that out of 13 songs, only 2 will accept artwork. I have tried adding it several times, both in the info window, and the artwork display area. If I paste an image into the display area, it will appear as though it's been added, but if I click on another song, and then return to the first song, the artwork will again be blank. :?::!:
I've even tried re-ripping and re-encoding, but the same thing happens. Anyone else experienced this? I found no reference in a forum search.

I have one set of FLAC files that I downloaded, and every time I try to encode them to mp3 with Max, every file is just white noise. I was going to discard them as defective, but then I opened them with Toast, and they played fine. I used Max to convert FLAC to FLAC, in hopes that might somehow help; it didn't. I used Toast to convert FLAC to FLAC but, strangely, each file was about half the original size when finished. How is this possible? You shouldn't get a much smaller file when going from FLAC to FLAC, should you? If that were true, everyone would re-convert ALL their FLAC files, to save half the space, When I used Toast to convert the FLAC to mp3, they played fine in iTunes, but I would like to get them encoded with Max, so I can use LAME. Any suggestions?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:34 pm

Which version of Max was producing the white-noise containing FLACs? What was the sample rate and size for the files? If they are 24-bit files, it's a bug that has been fixed. If they aren't, I'm not sure what the cause could be.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:52 am

I'm using 0.6.1.

How can I find out the sample rate and size? I tried to get the info with Max, Toast, Jam, & VLC, but they don't give me that info.
The FLAC files also played fine with VLC.

I'm a basic user, and know very little about the different formats, bit rates, sample rates, etc.

chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:27 pm

On a related note, I have had several CD's who I ripped directly to MP3 using Max 0.6.1 and have the option selected to add to iTunes immediantly. However, when those few CD's are added to iTunes, the following happens:

1) I cannot add any artwork. Same issue the person above was having...they would appear for a second but if I click away from the song and then return, it was gone.

2) The track names show up like "01 Song Name", with no year or track # information appearing. Almost like the ID3 tags are missing, incomplete, or corrupt. However, the Artist and Album info is entered in correctly. In Max, all the information appears to be entered properly prior to ripping.

This happens only on a couple of CD's I have run into so far. The rest are fine.

Any ideas?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:55 pm

Hey Chrisgeleven, sorry to hear you're also having difficulty, but I am glad to see I'm not the only one with these problems! I was starting to think it was a system specific issue.
I also had a problem where about 2 of my CDs, instead of being properly named, were named with something like [disc name][artist name[song title]. I had to go back and sample and manually change every file's name. But that hasn't happened lately. I recently updated to 0.6.1, and that happened with the last version. Hopefully it's fixed.
Yesterday I ripped 12 CDs, and had no problems (as far as I know). I haven't yet listened to them, or added artwork, so I can't positively say everything's okay.

gojou

Post by gojou » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:08 pm

I've experienced the white noise problem with one CD I encoded to mp3 using Max 0.5.6.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:34 am

The problem of my FLAC files not playing properly has been solved. The files are 24-bit files, and Max 0.6.1 can not handle them. I have been informed that a new version is in the works.

As for the artwork problem, I have yet to receive an answer.